Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Is owning a dog an american thing?

No I am American but stationed in Russia, they have pet dogs all over.

No it is not.  Humans have had dogs as pets since the earliest days of recorded history, and America has only existed in history for a couple of short centuries.  Thank you for asking, I guess.

• DK52

No, it's a human thing.

• ron h

i think that more working class Americans pamper their dogs than most other places.  We keep them indoors and let them sleep with us.  I don't think thats really common in most other countries.

It's a mental illness thing.

Think about it. A parasite host, dangerous, smelly thing living in your house where you have to pick up its poop and train the stupid out of it so it can pretend to be nice "animal" .

No, it is not just an American thing.  People all over the world own dogs.  From the most frigid climates to the hottest.  Pet dogs are all over the world.

Nope, not really. Babying and treating our dogs as humans/children? YES. Dogs have been owned for thousands upon thousands of years in every country and culture, either for work, for show, or as a companion. I'd say the former two were more widely used. I'm using work as all-encompassing: hunting, herding, pulling sleds, guarding, etc. 

All Americans have done for the last 50 years is put our dogs in stupid outfits, talk to them in baby voices, feed the scraps from the table, and treat like them one of the family. Many other cultures and countries do not do this to the extent we do. I'm not saying all of us do it, but we do it a lot.

Lots of people in Canada and Europe own dogs.

Certain breeds are popular as pets or as working animals in Asian cultures.

I'm South America and Mexico there are breeds that we're commonly kept there..   some cultures in South America believe you need a dog to guide you to the underworld.

Dogs were also commonly kept in Egypt.

Less developed/poor countries do not typically keep dogs as pets..  animals either earn their keep or they are raised for food.

• Maxi

Americans do own dogs however they were late to the game of dog owning countries simply as the US is a young country and many other countries were establed  centuries before and dog owners

• God

Lots of Americans do own dogs and cats.  But I think a lot of other Nationalities do too.