Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

What would happen if I accidentally filled my automatic transmission with engine oil instead of transmission fluid?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It doesn't matter, because anyone that careless couldn't fill the transmission fluid.

• 1 month ago

If you caught the mistake fairly soon and did the proper drain, change filter, refill with proper fluid, run for a day and then repeat the process (to clean out any residual oil), there should be zero damage to the transmission. ATF fluid is essentially motor oil with additives, so a short exposure won't do any harm. Longer term, the oil will not function as ATF fluid is designed to and damage to the transmission is likely.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Try it. Report back on the results.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Transmission would slip and car won't go. So you don't do that.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Year make and model.  There will be transmission shifting problems and your transmission will have a short life.

• 1 month ago

AC Transit, in Oakland, California, experimented with that in their diesel buses many years ago. It worked and the transmissions held up fine. Automobile transmissions would be affected according to how the transmission clutches and seals tolerated motor oil- or not.

• 1 month ago

You'll ruin the tranny if you don't drain all the motor oil out. I'd go as far as running the motor and shifting through the gears and then draining and filling the transmission again to try and make sure all the motor oil is out.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I've never done it, nor do I personally know anyone who has, but I suspect it would be incompatible & tour tranny would fail (catastrophically) relatively quickly. 

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Ruin your auto trans in short order.

• 1 month ago

You would spend a lot of time walking.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.