?
Lv 4
? asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

I have a question about heaters?

I was thinking about buying a kerosene heater, just in case the power goes out in the winter time. But I'm not sure if it's wise to have a kerosene heater inside a house.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

    tenent used a kerosene heater in the kitchen which area was kind of cold to walk on in winter early AMs old door had a transom on top,we kept it cracked open for a bit of outside  draft  all were  comfy & safe throughout the winters they lived there ( 5 years) a clean unit clean  fuel,smell was like semi aged fresh paint

  • L
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

    As long as the place is well ventilated..................it's okay.  Kerosene gives off dangerous fumes and you need fresh air to not get sick.

  • garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    kerosene heater are safe but should be used in a well ventilated room ,  after all the do deplete to air of oxygen . as long as its set right then your safe , run kerosene heater in well ventilated rooms and dont allow them to smoke .

  • 2 months ago

    No! Never use kerosene heaters inside a dwelling. Gas shouldn't be used either unless the gas supply is located outside the structure.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    No, NEVER inside a house, unless you want your walls to get all wet.  (No, kerosene heaters won't kill you, but they'll kill the walls inside the house.) There are other options, like heating stones (like in a sauna), and just letting them do their thing in a METAL bowl.

  • 2 months ago

    OK with ventilation: Think about a carbon monoxide alarm. Remember that every gallon of kerosene has a gallon of water in the fumes.

  • 2 months ago

    definitely BAD!  any heater that relies on flame can not be in a house [other than in a properly vented to the outside furnace].  carbon monoxide is a killer.  the way you stay worm when the power goes out in winter is by putting on another layer of clothes -- grampa

  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    CO monitor and a window cracked a little and you will be fine. My folks used one for years to keep a basement/family room warmer in the winter. 

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Yes just keep a door open or a little bit of window crack. I used them before I had central heating.

  • 2 months ago

    Several things to keep in mind. 

    1.  Keep it in a wide open space where nothing can accidentally catch fire. 

    2.  Have plenty of fresh air. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.