Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 month ago

what do I do with a plant I no longer want to take care of?

I got a snake plant because it was suppose to be 'easy' and it has turned into a stressful mess. I cut 2 leaves off to put in water, thinking it would just grow on its own, but now realize you need specific grower foods. I don't have the money have hydroponic foods, granual fertilizers, and separate soil fertilizers that would come to about 60 dollars and on top of that, the plant would need specific ratios supposedly, which could go wrong if it gets too little, or too much and is based on its species, but there is different types of snake plants and I had no idea about this either. I really hate all this unnecessary work and money for a damn plant. I am starting to wish I just got a fish. Should I just kill the plant? I am one step away from being done, but just wanted to reach out to see what the hell to do.

Donate it to the horticultural society or discard it. 

Never heard of needing multiple fertilizers for a snake plant. How much do you really think it is going to grow and how fast?

I though you wanted easy.

Buy 1 fertilizer,water the plant when it dries out,do not let it sit in water and if it outgrows the pot then replant it in a bigger one.

Are you talking about your actual plant, or the cuttings you are trying to grow?  Snake plants are typically VERY easy care, as in, you hardly need to do anything.  All it needs is water maybe twice a month, and indirect light (no direct sun).  I hope you keep it. Snake plant leaves soak up toxins and carbon dioxide, and produce oxygen to help purify the air in a room. They grow when they're left alone, basically.  So again, not sure if you are struggling with the cuttings, but I imagine the cuttings do take care and patience.  Rather than spend on those fertilizers, just go get a new plant for under $20 or so.  Overall snake plants are great to have in the home; I have two snake plants and they are going on two years old, with hardly any care and very little watering. Good luck!

• Willie

Throw it when the city picks up branches and trunks.

• Ben

By snake plant, do you mean Dracaena trifasciata, or a Sansevieria species?

If so, none of what you have written is true. Keep it on a windowsill somewhere, water it a couple times a month, repot it in fresh compost every spring. That's all you need to do, and it will easily look after itself.

All of those instructions you've found are for people who want their plant to grow and flourish at its maximal rate. But if all you want is for it to survive and be moderately healthy, none of that is necessary. 

The plant is certainly far easier to look after than your alternative of a fish. You can just ignore it most of the time, as you can with most succulent and semi-succulent house plants. You are far more likely to kill it by overwatering than you are through neglect, so it's usually better to err on the side of neglecting it.

Set it out at the edge of the street and someone who wants it will pick it up.  A "Free" sign helps.  It will be gone in 30 minutes.  

Throw it out.  And don't get a fish because you'll wind up killing it too.

Throw it out                        

Plant it in the ground somewhere

Wow just go outside and plant the steak plant somewhere you might be surprised what happens it'll come up and grow between your toes you'll have more snake plants than you know what to do