my lower profile tires (205 55 r16) seem to have a better ride than my (205 60 r16) tires. isn't this opposite of what should be expected?

when i say bad ride i mean i really feel harshness directly at the wheel. every little bump feels like the rims are going to shatter. i guess i should have made that more specific from the start.

Depends on the tire maker and the tire tread thickness.  I find Michelin very soft riding (German) compared to Sunny tires (China) but sunny is used as snow tires so it don't matter as I go nowhere.  Different with Pirelli or Dunlop or WalMart brand.  It is a secret blend, like hamburgers and their secret sauce. Each are different.

New tires always ride better than worn out ones. Besides that, check the tire pressure is right. Finally more compliant tread composition gives a better ride than a less than optimum tread pattern and rubber composition.

It's either in your head, or due to a different brand/style of tire.

That depends on the tread design.

• F

I doubt if you can feel much difference between a 55 and a 60 profile tyre, unless they are vastly different types.

Different tread patterns can create more noise , so it might be that which is psychologically making you think it’s a worse ride.

It can depend on the design of the tire, for one thing. A high performance tire might be designed with 'softer' tread for better traction and handling on dry pavements with less mileage life. Or a tire might be designed for longer life in terms of mileage with 'harder' rubber compounds. You'll see this reflected in part by the mileage warranties, i.e. 40,000, 60,000 miles.

A second factor is the age of the tire. As a tire ages, the rubber deteriorates, which will affect performance, comfort and ultimately safety, a big topic in the news a few years ago after the highway death of a celebrity was traced to tire failure of a set of tires well past their prime, albeit low mileage.

Depends on Tyre pressure My car has 205 55 r16

Reco9mmended 33 F 30 R  I get a better Ride with

30 psi Front and 28 psi rear Trial and error will Improve ride 

• Ron

snow tires have a softer sidewall   

the oem size are the 60's. i put the 55's on because they are snow tires left over from my last car and they have a nice 'cushiony' ride; as opposed to the 60's where i feel a lot of harshness. it could be that i just bought the car used and although the tires are good, they are just goodyear 'assurance' brand. i want to put some aftermarket rims on it in the spring but i don't want to beat them up...thanks for all the answers. i think what i'll do is just ride out the 60's on the oem rims and then use 55's when i get the new rims...thanks again.

A few possibilities.  #1, is the OEM tire size 205/55/16?  If so, then the suspension geometry has been optimized for that specific tire size.  Using even a slightly larger circumference tire (like a 205/60/16) might affect suspension geometry enough to make it ride worse. #2, if the 205/60/16 tire is heavier then the additional unsprung weight may degrade ride quality.  #3, stiffer sidewall on the 205/60/16 tire?