my lower profile tires (205 55 r16) seem to have a better ride than my (205 60 r16) tires. isn't this opposite of what should be expected?

Update:

when i say bad ride i mean i really feel harshness directly at the wheel. every little bump feels like the rims are going to shatter. i guess i should have made that more specific from the start.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Depends on the tire maker and the tire tread thickness.  I find Michelin very soft riding (German) compared to Sunny tires (China) but sunny is used as snow tires so it don't matter as I go nowhere.  Different with Pirelli or Dunlop or WalMart brand.  It is a secret blend, like hamburgers and their secret sauce. Each are different.

• 1 month ago

New tires always ride better than worn out ones. Besides that, check the tire pressure is right. Finally more compliant tread composition gives a better ride than a less than optimum tread pattern and rubber composition.

• 1 month ago

It's either in your head, or due to a different brand/style of tire.

• 1 month ago

That depends on the tread design.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • F
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I doubt if you can feel much difference between a 55 and a 60 profile tyre, unless they are vastly different types.

Different tread patterns can create more noise , so it might be that which is psychologically making you think it’s a worse ride.

• 1 month ago

It can depend on the design of the tire, for one thing. A high performance tire might be designed with 'softer' tread for better traction and handling on dry pavements with less mileage life. Or a tire might be designed for longer life in terms of mileage with 'harder' rubber compounds. You'll see this reflected in part by the mileage warranties, i.e. 40,000, 60,000 miles.

A second factor is the age of the tire. As a tire ages, the rubber deteriorates, which will affect performance, comfort and ultimately safety, a big topic in the news a few years ago after the highway death of a celebrity was traced to tire failure of a set of tires well past their prime, albeit low mileage.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Depends on Tyre pressure My car has 205 55 r16

Reco9mmended 33 F 30 R  I get a better Ride with

30 psi Front and 28 psi rear Trial and error will Improve ride 

• Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

snow tires have a softer sidewall   

• 1 month ago

the oem size are the 60's. i put the 55's on because they are snow tires left over from my last car and they have a nice 'cushiony' ride; as opposed to the 60's where i feel a lot of harshness. it could be that i just bought the car used and although the tires are good, they are just goodyear 'assurance' brand. i want to put some aftermarket rims on it in the spring but i don't want to beat them up...thanks for all the answers. i think what i'll do is just ride out the 60's on the oem rims and then use 55's when i get the new rims...thanks again.

• 1 month ago

A few possibilities.  #1, is the OEM tire size 205/55/16?  If so, then the suspension geometry has been optimized for that specific tire size.  Using even a slightly larger circumference tire (like a 205/60/16) might affect suspension geometry enough to make it ride worse. #2, if the 205/60/16 tire is heavier then the additional unsprung weight may degrade ride quality.  #3, stiffer sidewall on the 205/60/16 tire?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.