Robin
Robin asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 2 months ago

Why do many older ladies cut their hair short ?

• L

We do it because we're tired of the maintenance and upkeep long hair takes.  We like shorter hair because we can 'wash 'n go' and be happy with it.

I'm almost 60 and I have super long hair.  I'm planning to get it cut to below my shoulders soon.  Reason?  It's harder to wash, style and my shoulders hurt when trying to put up or braid.  Our age limits what we use to do.  That's probably why most older women have short hair.

I think this depends on the type of hair you have and I can understand how long hair requires more shampoo/conditioner and takes longer to dry, but speaking as a lifetime long-hair-heaver, I've actually been told the opposite, that short hair takes more time and effort to style.

Long hair only has to be washed every few days. Its a style being long and is easy to tie up.

I have fine, wavy long hair that looks good. Long hair has the advantage of being able to be put in a ponytail and be done. 

They don't care much about their looks. AND some women don't want to spend time maintaining long hair.

My wife, who was in her mid-30s at the time, got a short haircut that was ugly and I told her that she literally added twenty years of age to her looks.  She simply didn't care, even though I asked her to keep it longer..

That's like my 64 year old retired transit worker sister I guess they feel that it doesn't matter any more it's all about money.

they don't like long hair as much because they get hot flashes or they just prefer a different hair style. 

My great aunt ( my grandmothers sister) is 90 and has her hair past her shoulders. I know several older ladies 70 on up with hair past shoulders, depends on the person, it is easy to manage long hair too, if you don't want to style it all you need to do is brush it. My hair is to my hips and thats all I do, on occasion I will style it very seldom!

First, it's much easier to take care of--and style. Second, when a woman goes past menopause, her hair often becomes thin, and shorter hair styles are a lot less likely to show thinning hair. There are a lot of other reasons, as well. Medical conditions often make your hair thin or fall out completely, and sometimes it's just difficult to shampoo because of orthopedic problems. 

• Mark

For some reason when a lot of women reach "a certain age", they just think it's a societal norm.  Also while SOME older look good in longer hair  (no not Crystal Gayle long), most people's (it happens to men, too) hair texture changes, and so what might have looked good in the 20-40 ear age group, may look more like a stereotypical witch as they age.  Plus, I would imagine after half a lifetime of "Doing your hair" must getting really tiring.  And things were much, much worse in the 1960s with bouffant hairdos.  My older cousin told me that she had to sleep sitting up, or else the curlers would annoy her.

My mom who is in her late 40s just recently had her long hair cut into a collar bone length layered hair style that she now curls with rollers 

I must admit her new hairstyle really suits her.

But she always seem to be wearing a head full of rollers as she shampoos and sets her hair about 3x a week.