Do you think they'll ever make a movie about Barry Manilow?

He's another gay icon like Elton John, Freddie Mercury and Liberace.

"About" him?  Probably not.... A movie centered around his music, like "Mamma Mia?"...I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Manilow's career was decidedly "mainstream".  He lacked the "edginess" and showmanship of the others and (unlike John and Mercury) didn't routinely play before packed stadiums.  I think even he once said "my songs are the ones you hum to yourself while driving, not the ones you belt out in bars."

Although he kept his closeted relationship secret for decades, Manilow's lifestyle seemed perfectly mainstream as well, dull even. He generally avoided controversy and the "party scene."  What made Liberace movie worthy was the fact that he was all about showmanship...people wanted to see if he was really that "out there" in real life.

Why not? They did one on Harvey Milk. 

One on Ed Wood, Tucker; even on the  inventor of  delay windshield-wipers...When will they do one on Nikola Tesla?

I doubt that there will ever be a Barry Manilow movie.

Yup and that anti - mask pansy bruce willis would be perfect for that role . 

If they do, I hope he’s in it somewhere 

probably.............and you probably just gave some movie maker a million dollar idea. 

• Ron

Yes and no, he's had a brilliant career in terms of longevity and staying power, but was he ever a superstar where you flock to his shows? He's a camp icon. But then you can theoretically make a good movie out of any topic, execution is all.

anything is possible

Maybe, but I'm not sure it'd be a very interesting story. He's just this kinda Jewy nerd that never really got into drugs, never partied, never was flamboyant or anything. He just wrote the songs that made the whole world sing. I mean, the only thing that's even remotely interesting about him is that he was partnered with Bette Middler for a while-- now Bette Middler, that's someone they'll make a movie about.

you'll find out if they do make one