K9 Krazy asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Can I be sued if my puppy nibbles a child?

My roomate had his friend and her two kids come to my house because they wanted to say hi to my dog for a moment. My dog is an 11 month old GSD who LOVES people. A little too much I might say. He loves to play and is still training to control his excitement around people. He nibbles on people. Sometimes the nibbles hurt, but he was being contained the entire time the children were present in my home. For a moment the child got too close, and my dog desperately wanted to play so he grabbed his jacket, but no one had any idea he had made contact with skin. There was no yelping from the child. I thought nothing of it. The child left happy.

A little while later we get a call from the father saying he wants to sue me because my dog bit him. Like what? Can they even do anything about this? My dog is friendly. This happened in MY home. There was no indication the child was harmed. I'm just pissed off and on edge.

• Rita

If your child has been bitten by a dog, you may be able to sue. First of all, take your child to a doctor for treatment and to document and gather evidence of the injury. Secondly, file a police report of the incident. Last but not least, contact an experienced personal injury attorney for help.

the question for your puppy just a baby and if he was just nibbled or playing around with the kids without not teeth marks on their skins or hasnt been really attacked the kids at all . no you cant be sued . only way being sued if the dog wasnt well trained and did attacked and bite hard and made a cut or bleeding on a child  lefted some really bad dogs teeth marks like if the dog was behavioring and really bitten off the child any where her or his body ,face was bleeding alot and child was crying then yes can be sued by child parents. but if the dog didnt no nothing wrong . no cant do nothing just have to have a 100% prove marks on child . if just scratches marks not look that bad and the child isnt really hurted .then the child parent lying and making you to be blame on. first thing is next time you shouldnt allow any one include a younger children come over to see the dog. without the child parents there . if you invited anyone else to your house. always make sure you take the dog outside in the backyard or in your arms . .you as a pet owner should be one be training your dog not bite by saying no to him or pad soft way touch his nose repeating say no .not being animal abused. because i have 3 month old **** tzu mix and he just a baby so he is still training to not bite . you need to train your puppy . 

Technically, yes, your roommate's friend can sue you. You can sue people over super dumb things. In a law suit, these people have to prove 'damages'. I don't think they have a lot of damages to prove here. The only thing I would worry about is the dog. I am not sure if the dog would be in danger of being taken via court order. HOWEVER. Remember lawsuits are expensive. Does your roommates friend's really have thousands and thousands to spend on a frivolous law suit? Second, they will be hard pressed to find an attorney willing to take on this case as there are not exactly millions of dollars on the line. I wouldn't worry about it until you get a letter from a court saying you are being sued. 

TBH..  A German Shepherd wasn't the ideal breed to have in a shared house and especially if your roomate bring visitors home and even more especially if some of those are children.  

You have to teach him not to MOUTH,  which is what he's doing. 

When you first got this dog it was very young & the first two things you train a puppy for is to go potty outside & to stop biting, you never taught it not to bite or mouth any one.  The dog didn't know it did anything wrong cause it was never taught any better.

I do not think that a bruise is reason enough to sue you.  What would they sue you for.  No medical bills to pay.  Weren't the parents of the child there at your home when this happened?  Then they are as responsible as you for allowing this to happen.  Where was the supervision?

The dog did not penetrate any skin with its teeth.  Sue happy people are low life individuals.  Something wrong with their thinking.

I don't think they have a leg to stand on.  They were right there & saw it all happen.

• Maxi

Can he sue? Sure he can, people can sue for anything...but winning is another thing....

Reality is it is your dog regardless of where it happened if it broke the skin regardless of if it ws done 'in play' or not although if the dog was contained how was it possible for it to do what it did...........

People sue to 'make whole' which means what out of pocket costs do they have and can prove?

More importantly you need to deplete your dogs energy more and that means more lead walks, teaching the dog the 'leave' command which means leave anything and the 'nibbling' is anxiety based, so that needs to stop and you need to build your dogs confidence and you need to make it clear that your dog is not an 'entertainment' option for your roommates friends kids or any other kids

He is a PUPPY, and ask for photos, doctor reports, make sure the photos ARE DATED!!! Sure he can try to sue, but young dogs/puppies sometimes nibble, they are chewers, but I have a dog whistle my vet told me to use, so far so good!!! Good luck IF they try to sue get records from your vet, take videos on how your pup is play full again he is just a puppy, they play, nibble, jump, yes sometimes needs discipline but all pups need training and learning. Good luck! 

• *****

People can file suit against you for any reason. The important question is: will they win? Not if there were no damages caused. Was his jacket torn? If so, I'd offer to pay for it. 

i would hope not

• James

This happened with my dog. She "scratched" my sister's friend and their parents had our dog sent to a behavioral center for 1 week