Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

When renting a condo, is it normal to pay these fees?  ?

I'm moving last minute for a temporary job assignment in another state. I've only rented a college dorm and studio apartment so this condo is a huge step up. Of course, landlords/owners can make whatever rules they want, but I was just wondering how common it is to pay these fees to both the owner and HOA. 

There is a security deposit of $2,500 and a move-in fee of $1000 payable directly to the owner. The HOA is also charging a move-in fee of $500, a move-out fee is $500, and a damage deposit of $350. And also rent is $2,000. So that's around $6,350 upfront due by move-in. The owner says she's paying the monthly HOA fees but it seems like she just added it into the security deposit, but she says she didn't. I did find an apartment that only requires an $1850 security deposit but it's about 30 minutes further from the job. I like the area of the first unit but the fees are a bit much. My job is covering some relocation fees up to $2,750 btw. 

Thanks in advance for your advice/help

I've never heard of a move-in fee or a move-out fee. Those are pretty arbitrary, and I would find another place based on that. It sounds like someone has you marked as someone who doesn't know what he or she should be charged and are just waiting to be fleeced. 

The damage deposit is normal for a lot of places. The security deposit is also normal. 

I'd move to the other place, and track your mileage for the tax deduction. 

HOA fees are nominal and you get a great service. 

If I were you, I'd take those fees and be happy about them. Nobody will bother you. That's all a hoax.

Move in fees are not standard at all.  I have never paid a move in fee in my life.  Yes, you are effectively paying the HOA fees in the end, but that would be true no matter how it was structured.  

• Hannah

Ask to see a copy of the HOA documents.  See if subletting to renters is even allowed—the owner renting out the condo may not even be allowed by the HOA.  The fees should be listed in the documents.  Also ask for names/contact info for HOA board members and contact them directly with your questions. 

Its normal to pay different fees, but this seems excessive to me and the fact that the other place is only charging $1850 seems to prove that.  The 2 places you have checked are not the only rentals in the area. Have you tried looking at a few other places that are also closer by?

Note that some places might ask for 1st and last months rent, plus a 1 month (or so) security deposit, which would still be $6000 on a $2000 rental. However, $2000 in moving fees (all due beforehand) plus a damage deposit od $350 on top of the security deposit (which is already more than one months rent and supposed to cover the damages in most places) seems over the top.

Hey, if the landlord can get someone to pay all that (assuming all these fees are even legal - not positive they are, but thats a state by state matter and they probably are), then I guess you can't blame them for taking the money.

It's perfectly normal, but it is usually common for the renter to pay the HOA fees, since you have the option of using the facilities (pool, hot tub, tennis courts, etc.), not the owner.  Moving fees are likely including reserving an elevator just for you.

I'm not familiar with these fees, but you can check other complexes.

If they are similar then those would be common in that rental market.

If the others don't have them, choose something else. 

it might depend on who youre renting it from