? asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

What is the best option for a natural gas floor furnace replacement?

I have an older home with a floor furnace.  My furnace went out and the gas company said it can't be repaired.  We get some really harsh winters with sub zero temperatures.  We had some days with a wind chill of -10 degrees fahrenheit.  The whole house is about 940 square feet and heated by a single floor furnace.  

I was quoted $3,000 to have my old furnace removed and a new gas floor furnace professionally installed.  They want about $10,000 to install a furnace with ductwork.

What would be the best option for heating this home?    Electric would require wiring as my current wiring won't handle a space heater.  Turned on the Sunheat then turned on the dishwasher and blew a fuse.  

I feel the floor furnace is quite antiqueish, but replacement might be the best option????   I have no heat in the house so your help is appreciated.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Droopy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

How does the floor furnace heat the house? If it able to heat all the rooms to a comfortable temperature then that maybe the way to go.  Its definitely gonna be the fastest.  Which being in the middle of winter is gonna factor in.  

A ducted system will definitely distribute the conditioned air betterthrew out the house. It might be be more efficient 

• I have two cottages about the same size.

I installed a 98% efficient gas furnace in each and watched my fuel bill drop drastically. 

Mine have had the nozzles changed to use Propane because we don't get Natural gas in the country.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.