Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Should I even bother applying for this apartment?

6 years ago I had a family member take out money on my line of credit, they never made payments and at the time I was a student with no income coming in so I never made payments. Well I am now working and have paid off all debts except for the 2000 dollars from a family member. They keep saying they will pay me back but it is never happening. So I just paid it off today, however that will take probably about 30 days to reflect on my credit report.

I am looking at a brand new apartment tomorrow that is listed through the owner. I really want it. I have great references and pay all of my bills on time now and can even supply a co-signer on the lease if the landlord requires it. However, I am so worried I will be denied because of my debt. My credit score isn't great either, 638. So do I even bother applying for the apartment? Or how would I talk to the landlord about this?

Thank you

Yes. You should. Your credit score is fine, high enough that would have?qualified for a mortgage in 2008 before everything crashed financially. As long as you have a cosigner with a good credit rating you should be fine. 

That's a matter of self-confidence issue. As for money, do you have any evidence to prove someone owing you money? (Try to get one.) Even you can prove, your money might not return. Don't let it ruin your life.

You should always try if that is something you want to do. But unfortunately you will more then likely be declined for an appartment because your family decide to use your credit card

If you really want it, apply, but don't get too excited.  Why on earth would you in debt yourself $2,000 when you didn't have a job to pay it back, or money in the bank to pay it back?  Your ability to make good decisions isn't very good.  A landlord might take that into consideration so using your family member as an excuse won't help you.  That person is a separate issue and if you choose to or not to sue, that's your business.  Your credit isn't going to magically improve.  It takes time.

You should have some proof you paid it so just show them.  Even then one debt shouldn't make that big of a difference. 638 is good no idea where you got the idea that it wasn't.   It is not excellent but its not bad either. 

Tell them a family member committed fraud on your card.

No one here knows what this particular landlord's screening criteria are.

Did it occur to you to discuss it with the landlord?  

Communication...a thing we adults find helpful.

• Maxi

if you don't bother you can be sure you will not get it....so it is up to you, or you can view it , chat to the landlord and apply

• Audrey

I would take a chance on explaining ot to him. It just might work! I hope you have cut that "family member" out of your life! Good luck.