Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Should I move out?

I'm currently 25 living with my parents back in Los Angeles. Recently my parents asked me to start paying them rent in addition to what I already cover. I currently already pay for my share in the electric/water bill, pay the internet and cable bill in full under my name for the entire house, cover all personal costs (Car Insurance, Diet Specific Groceries, Personal Care items, clothes, furniture for my room, phone bill, school expenses, etc.)

My financial situation currently stands as the following:

Full Time Job 40-45 Hours per week (42-45K Gross yearly income)

About $12,000 in my bank account for proof of financial security in my rental application.

In addition, I'll be driving Door Dash/Uber Eats on the side for extra spending money.

In terms of debt, the only thing current is my student loans which is about $220/mo but I'm still attending school so I can defer that payment at anytime if needed. My car is recently paid off so the only expense is maintenance. I'm also getting about 2-4K each semester to aid in expenses from FAFSA.

Any insight and advice would be greatly appreciated.

What amount of rent do they want? Considering rent in LA you may be better off at home until you finish school. Do you expect your salary to go up once you complete a Bachelor degree? Or a job in another area of the US? 

• L

There house - there rules.  If you want to live there.............pay rent.

LA is rediculously expensive. If you can afford to live on your own then go for it.  Your parent's request is not unreasonable. 

• n2mama

Your parents request is totally reasonable. You don’t say how much rent they are asking you to pay or how it compares to market rent in your area. I’m guessing mom and dad want you to move out, especially given your age and employment status. All the things you list as currently covering are things an adult should be paying for, and would be things you would pay for no matter where you live. If rent in L.A. for a one bedroom apartment is 1500/month, you don’t make enough money to qualify for an apartment alone. Having money in savings is nice, but for most landlords that doesn’t matter, because nothing stops you from spending every penny of those savings the day after you sign the lease. You also say you’ll be driving for door dash or Uber on the side for extra money, but again, that doesn’t indicate that you have proof of that side gig making the extra 10k/year or so you need to get approved for a 1500/month apartment.

How do you feel about living with a roommate versus living at home?

That depends a lot on how much your parents intend to charge for rent.  Here in Los Angeles it is hard to find a one-bedroom apartment for under about $1500, and there are probably a lot of things your parents still cover that you are unaware of, such as the other non-diet specific groceries you eat and the fact that your mom cooks it  and shops for the food.  I am betting that your parents are thinking of charging rent somewhere in the range of $600 to $800 - so it it worth spending an extra $1000 per month to be on your own?

9 times out of 10 living at home even when paying rent atop of the other stuff you pay for is a better deal than moving out.  It isn't just in the dollars you are able to count up, but the stuff you leave out of the equation (that you take for granted) and the subtleties of the comfort you enjoy at home that likely wouldn't be possible if you moved out.  This is great subject to talk to your parents directly about, as they have likely been in the same situation you are in.  Your friends who are financially independent now are also great resources to understand the differences too. 

The bottom line is your parents are trying to prepare you for the real world of being financially independent.  You may think you chip in a great deal, in reality life is far more expensive.  They know you couldn't afford to live on your own so aren't kicking you out, just trying to give you a taste of something closer to the real world.

Totally up to you.

If I were your parents, I'd be happy to let an adult child live at home rent-free if they were enrolled in school full-time and working part-time.

But since you're 25, working full-time, living rent-free, borrowing money and have only saved 12k with free rent and haven't finished school, something isn't right here.    If I were your parents, I'd be expecting rent or showing you the door too.

If I were you, I'd ask parents if I enrolled in uni FULL TIME and worked part-time, if the rent could be deferred until graduation.

Your parents want you to stop farting around.    You've been an adult for SEVEN years and yet you haven't finished your degree and have racked up debt despite working full-time and free rent.     Time for an adulting reality check.

• Scott

You are 25, well into adulthood and should be living on your own. Your parents allow you to live at home, but ask you to pay rent, which is totally reasonable. It will be less expensive than moving out and paying for everything on your own in Los Angeles.

If you do not like living with parents, move out.  If it's fine, stay.  

You're 25, time to stop sucking of your mommy's nipple, go out and be a woman.