Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Why are older people stuck in the past typically and can’t embrace changing societal norms and technology?

For example, my grandma thinks that computers are made from magic and she refuses to use a cell phone because they are “inconvenient”. If a home phone is more convenient than a cell phone in her mind, I don’t know what is going on in there. They just truly do not understand technology. 

Life was much simpler without technology and if you could imagine living the majority of your life without it you’d understand what I mean.

cause theyre more used to the stuff they used in the past

It's hardly all older people and I know someone in their 90's who's about as tech savvy as it gets. That's because he welcomed the change of the digital age and has the free time to really take advantage of it. Meanwhile I know people in their 40's who can barely send an email because they've become too reliant on office staffers and such to do these things for them. 

• T J

Not all old people are like that. Hell, I have been using a PC since 1987, and a cell since 1996. I also use a tablet, and a laptop.

My grandmother refuses to use the TV remote because she might point it at something other than the TV, causing an explosion.  No joke!  As it happens, I still have a house phone.  I just prefer a land line for my business.

It was the people of my generation who INVENTED the technology that you take for granted.

It might seem like that because we like to navigate through life based on our experience.

Us humans grow attached to our thoughts, just like people get attached to religion.

You could try asking your grandma why she thinks it's magic, if shes healthy enough to explore her thoughts that is.