My hair has suddenly become very itchy every day. Even when I consistently use head and shoulders shampoo. This is not normal for me.?

My barber said a few years ago that me using head and shoulders shampoo will only further dry my scalp. Does that mean that head and shoulders shampoo is not effective for black men? Or am I just not applying enough? Can head and shoulders shampoo be used multiple times a week? 

My hair becomes a lot more flaky and itchy during the winter 

My scalp wasn't feeling itchy,  recently it was the sides and back of my head that was real itchy. 

• Your hair doesn't get itchy, your scalp does. Anti dandruff shampoos are supposed to help dandruff, not itchy scalps. If you don't have dandruff stop using that, it's not going to help a dry scalp your barber is right about that. Winter weather can also dry out your hair and your scalp, which can cause your scalp to itch.

See your doctor and try to find out what's causing your itchy scalp. Use products that are meant to help dry itchy scalps. 

Head and shoulders does NOT treat dandruff, it only makes the dandruff stick to the scalp.  If you read the advertising for it, it says it makes dandruff LESS VISIBLE. I have no idea whats in it to make the dandruff stick, but it clearly is no good for you or your scalp. If your scalp is itching, it probably needs something like Nizoral, which is an antifungal shampoo. It's expensive, but it works. You can get it at a pharmacy. 

• If you have an itchy scalp that won't improve when you use an anti-dandruff shampoo, see your doctor and asked to be referred to a dermatologist.

• Mark

It can be used by black men, but no one (male or female, black or white) should wash their hair EVERYDAY.  Yes, Head and Shoulders will dry out your scalp, rather like how witch hazel does the same thing to skin.

And it DOES sound like you have a dry scalp.  Sometimes (but mostly in summer), I get kind of itchy all over my body.

To get rid of scalp itch, and also to condition, rub mayonnaise (no joke!) into your hair BEFORE you shampoo it.  It's WAY cheaper than "hot oil treatments" and works just as well.

I don't know how long your hair is, but if your scalp is dry you need to rub HAND LOTION into your head (not your hair).