Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

How many cats is too many?

I'm a 39 year old unmarried woman and I'm thinking about getting more cats but I'm not sure if I have too many already

My cat had 7 kittens last spring.  Found homes for four of them, so now I have 4 in the house.  Some might consider that too many, but I don't worry much about it.  Love all 4 and can't imagine not having either one.

I would say that too many cats are about 7 or more, just make sure you don't get so many cats that your whole day consists of scooping their poop out 15 times a day. And go through 15 cans a day. 

• Shay

Some cities actually have a pet limit.  That would be the first issue.  Does your location have a limit to how many pets you can have.

Next, when you have multiple cats - you need multiple litter boxes.  How much space do you have in your home for setting up multiple boxes.  The typical rule is one box per cat plus one more.  (five cats would mean six boxes.)

How many can you afford to care for.  You need to consider food, litter, and vet bills.

Personally, I think that three to four cats is plenty and that depends on the space you live in.  In a small home, that would be pushing it.  You end up with a house that smells like a litter box.

If you aren't sure if you already have too many, then you probably don't need anymore.

What you're describing here is called being an animal hoarder, but that's not an easily answered question. This is because it isn't the the number of animals someone has which makes them a hoarder, it's more on their financial status i.e. whether they can afford the care for all of them or not.

For example, if someone has 30 cats, but can still afford all of the following expenses, then they're not a hoarder:-

- a good quality food which the cats like, and provides the necessary nutritional requirements which they need in their daily diet.

- vet's bills.

- pet insurance.

- hiring a groomer (or putting the time and effort into grooming the cats themselves).

- cat litter, cleaner for cat litter trays, and replacements for the cat litter trays when necessary.

- paying for cattery costs, or hiring a pet sitter when needed e.g. if the owner is on holiday.

For some people, it may be something as simple as owning a large breed of dog, like a rottweiler or Labrador retriever.

Hope this helps.

My personal peak was seven cats in a 4 1/2 room apartment (flat to Brits).  I have a friend who peaked at 25.  Feeding time was amusing, only time I've seen what could only be called a herd of cats.

So how many do you have?  In how much space?

• a

Check with your municipal ordinances and see if there is a limit.

If you can afford them and their veterinary treatment, it's nobody's business.

• ?

If you can afford to care for them properly, I would say your finances would determine that

I think one cat is too many, tbh

There is a lady down the road who has something like 20, according to her husband. She is involved with the humane society. All the cats are kept inside a garage building.

From my own experience, it's best just to have one.   Cats are jealous of each other.   When you get more than one in the household, one of them will suffer.