What are some schools of thought around time off scheduling in business?

What I notice in some places is during the slow season, everyone takes their vacations, etc which then leaves everyone else working overtime anyway which then leaves a few out sick (from running at full speed for 12 hours a day for 6 days in a row for months) on top of the 2 on vacation. Then it takes a few months for everyone to recover again just in time for the busy season that will make everyone want to take vacations again and repeat the whole process.

In theory, if everyone was guaranteed a smooth 8 hour day, wouldn't they not need (as much) vacation and sick time?

"if everyone was guaranteed a smooth 8 hour day, wouldn't they not need (as much) vacation and sick time?"

False.   I would hate working five eights and would feel like I need more vacation days.

I work four tens and love it.   I get three days off every week.   If I could, I'd work three thirteens and have four days off a week.   Why on earth would I want to commute five times and have five unpaid lunches to have a shorter weekend?

All business have different staffing needs so they all aren't going to take the same approach to scheduling time off or making preparations for staff shortages.    It's easier for some businesses than others due to the nature of the business.

Very few workers are guaranteed a smooth 8 hour day.  That's not generally the nature of work.