Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

If I live with my parents can they legally tell me what to do with my life ?

My parents told me once I graduate college I can live with them and save up money for an apartment if I wanted to.  My only question is what rights do I have with them? I understand I will have to follow the rules of the house, but how far can they go? Like can they force me to break up with my boyfriend? I can understand them not wanting me to bring him over there house, but if I wanted to see him could I spend the night at his house? Could I move in with him?  

I meant to also add that I smoke as well.  If I decided to go smoke with friends could they stop me?

Assuming you're an adult they can't really control your behavior when you're outside of their home. They can however bar you from ever coming back into their home. 

You sound like an ignorant twit.Be grateful your patents are willing to let you live with them rent free especially after you graduate college which is a major advantage compared to most adults that have to manage on their own 

maybe you should move in with him

IF you live with your parents THEY set the rules.  If you don't follow the rules they can kick you out of their house.  That's the legal explanation.  So you are mature enough to sleep with your boyfriend but not mature enough to live alone?  Interesting.  CAN you move in with your bf?  Of course you CAN.

• T J

they cannot make you break up, they cannot stop you from staying over, and they cannot stop you from moving in with him.

• Faith

Legally they control what happens in their home. So if they don't want your boyfriend over they have the right to say no. They can't force you to break up with him. As for sleeping at his home that depends on if he lives at home or on his own. If he lives on his own then yes you can move in with him. Just remember your parents house, it's their rules. If you don't want to follow them then they can kick you out.

That should take about three months. Be polite, help out and keep your room to your parents' standards, not yours.