Why does my stepdad think "freaking" is a swear word?

He thinks it's worse than damn or hell. He possibly even thinks it's worse than b*tch. Just 15 minutes ago my 9-year-old brother said "freaking" in a sentence as a replacement word for "f*cking" with his friends (not family) upstairs online, and his dad told him to come downstairs. He told him not to use "freaking" that it is a bad word and he is too young to say it because it is a "replacement word for f*cking" (he mentioned the actual word) and that "everyone knows that."

Yet, my stepdad says b*tch, sh*t, bullsh*t, cr*p, a*s, and n*gg*r all the time towards my brother. My brother gets away with saying n*gg*r and no one bats an eye.

I would be unhappy about a nine year old using "freaking", too, but then I'm not setting a bad example by swearing. You are right that it's not a good idea to use swear words and then tell children not to. They see it as hypocritical, and then just want to use those words more when the parents are out of earshot. 

• JuanB

So there you have it, you answered your own question "Why does my stepdad think "freaking" is a swear word?"  --  "because it is a replacement word for f*cking"

As for your stepdad's language - they don't call it "Adult Language" for nothing.

• Ludwig

It is worse than a swear word, it is 'corny'.