Jason asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Why is "freaking" taboo, but heck and darn OK?

Neither of them should be OK. My stepdad has ridiculous standards on which is a cuss word and which is not. He is barely OK with hell, doesn't allow damn, but will definitely PUNISH my brother for saying freaking. He says b*tch and sh*t all the time around him.

My brother is nine btw

Hell, my brother even said a*s twice, as in "kissing their(?) a*s," and my stepdad didn't tell him not to cuss. Same when he said something about "having the balls" (as a slang word). To my stepdad though, balls and a*s and even b*tch are not as bad as freaking.

My mom also uses freaking.. a LOT.. around my brother. I said it around him. My mom didn't care. She didn't want me using it at a younger age, but I'm an adult now. I think "freaking" is no more rude than sexy when referring to a girl.

He said freaking around his FRIENDS. He said balls and a** around his DAD, but his dad only had a problem with freaking.

So that I have this straight - you are an adult, and you want ME to tell you why your stepfather thinks that "freaking" is a curse word and "darn" and "heck" are not curse words.  You can't ask him, I gather.  Your mother doesn't know.  Perhaps your 9-year old brother should watch his mouth around your stepfather.  That would solve the issue.  I can't IMAGINE my 9-year old saying, "kissing their a$$" or "doesn't have the b*lls."

• Lv 7

freaking is a relatively newer "workaround" for kids to use in place of a certain 4 (or in this case 7) letter "swear" word. it is simply BECAUSE it is used in place of the F-bomb that is is taken more seriously than other euphemistic swears.

over the years, certain levels of profanity have waned in society. originally, you could not take God's name in vain, so because people used to TOO OFTEN say "I swear to God", to the point that it became essentially meaningless, and was considered the same thing as taking God's name in vain.

obviously, people eventually came up with "workarounds", and these too were shunned for a time, but as time went by, more and more were considered acceptable alternatives to using the ACTUAL words. even "God" the name is a euphemism, two times over, because people thought the ORIGINAL euphemism was too sacred!

it is the snowball effect. things grow in the direction they are headed. either more sacred, or more socially acceptable.

not much you can do about it, you cant change him

• T J

Your step dad is nuts. He would not be around me when I start, because when he opened his mouth, id put my F N fist in it.