Anonymous

Is it common for it to take 5 years to graduate college?

I may be graduating college at 23. Is that odd?

I'm 23 and graduating in May! Nothing odd about it :)

Fairly common.  It's often a five-year program for Architecture and for Education.

With Biden as President I'm sure you can take as many years as you like, the American taxpayer will generously take care of the bill.

Yes, it's very common these days.  Most people have to balance a job and school so it takes them a bit longer to finish their degree.

Lots of college students take more than 4 years to graduate. They change majors & need an extra year (or more!) to fulfill all the requirements of their new major. They take a lower course load than the usual 15-16 credit hours per semester, so it takes longer to graduate. They transfer schools & complicate everything. Hopefully, you'll be more mature a college grad at 23 or 24 than those who graduate at 21.

• drip

No, not odd at all.

Not necessarily odd, it would all depend on what profession you are learning and how well you are doing in it.

• Ludwig

In Germany, people generally take 5 or more years to graduate. 

• ?

The average age of undergraduates at my university is 27, so no, 23 is not old. I once taught at an engineering school where they told students going in that it would take 5-6 years- partly because they were expected to do an internship and partly because the school couldn't offer enough sections of the required courses. Many students go part time and take longer than 5 years. 

Depends on what you are taking and how much time you spend in college.

-Some degrees take longer than others.  -I know one girl who went to summer classes so she could shave a year off of getting her degree.

-I also know of someone who took 6 years because they had to work full time.

-Some mess up the first year pretty bad (common) and have to make up for all the fun they had.