Spyro
Spyro asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 2 months ago

Martial Arts Action Film: Do you prefer fast, intense, bone crunching fights, or pretty, more stylized, more graceful martial arts fights?

• Steel

It depends on the context of the movie. Many Hong Kong movies of the 70s and 80s bring the martial arts to the forefront and the plot seems to be secondary, so in that vain, it's great to showcase more stylized/graceful martial arts fights, especially if they are period-pieces; I just don't like when they get too outlandish, which is unfortunately the case for many (wire-work, magical abilities, etc.). I do like fast and intense fight scenes with more contemporary movies, but my one HUGE gripe with those is shaky camera work, which is more typical in American movies than from overseas. It makes it more difficult to appreciate what's actually happening during the fight - I guess they want to depict it as being chaotic or dynamic or something.

So, sorry for the cop-out, but I like something "in between", like a lot of Jet Li films: Lethal Weapon 4, War, Fearless, that sort of stuff. They aren't entirely realistic, but he's not flying around shooting laser beams from a sword most times either.

I like style and grace. I dont like Stephen Segal type crap.

I mean once in a while if it's really justified. I guess it depends...