Hoa violation left by previous owner am I responsible ?

The previous owner left a basketball goal in my yard that is between my house and another townhome. Hoa has been pestering me about it. How does hoa deem it's mine? And is it the responsible of the previous owner?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

just pull the ring down , its not hard to do , who needs tenants like you . after all you can sell it ..its better than paying some one to remove it ..

• 1 month ago

You bought the house, so you own everything left behind that is in and on the property.  If you didn't buy the b goal and you don't want it, why didn't you contact your lawyer to get them back to pick it up, or have your lawyer get the money from their lawyer to pay for its removal?  Have it removed or face a fine and a lien on your house.

• 1 month ago

The HOA determined that it is yours because it is in your yard and, as such, it is yours.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Fight HOA.  FACTS only.   You came in and hoop was there.  If you stand your ground they have a heck of a time to prove it is yours.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You may have learned the hard way that you should ALWAYS read HOA guidelines before purchasing a home in an HOA community.  You own the home and the b-ball goal, so yeah....it's you in violation of their bylaws.  If it turns out to be expensive, you could check with an atty on your chances of getting the previous owner to pay part or all, but this stuff usually ends up costing you more than any reimbursement.  What they did was tacky, but no illegal.

• 1 month ago

You just answered your own question; "The previous ... in my yard."  Also, unless you paid cash, your lender would have required a survey.

• 1 month ago

Just remove it. Why is this difficult?  Yes it IS your responsibility because you bought the home and you bought all the stuff that goes with that purchase--including any violations the previous owner left you. 

• 1 month ago

You own it, you bought it with the house. You got a copy of the HOA rules before moving in, so that you could check for stuff like this (though admittedly nobody ever reads those things). So, remove it or start paying the fees.  Since the prior owner put it up there you could take them to court for the cost of removing it, but its not really clear how that would go and probably not worth the hassle. I'd just remove it and take solace in the fact that the unknown expenses left by the prior owner could've been far worse.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You were supposed to do a walk through of the property before close/possession.   If anything was amiss, that was the time to get it sorted.

You signed about a hundred documents that state you accept the property as-is.

The goal is now yours.

The HOA deems it's yours because it is.  

You might try calling your agent and letting them know about this thing and why didn't they arrange a walk-through for you.   They got a big fat commission so maybe they will be willing to pay someone to come remove it.

• 1 month ago

If it is on your property,  then it is yours.  You own the home, you are now responsible for it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.