Was this a good answer to say to this question in an interview?

Interviewer: how do you handle stressful situations?

Me: I’m a gamer so I am in stressful situations in video games all the time and work through them very well!

This is a paraphrase. I tried to be very honest and I truly think video games prepare me for stressful situations and handling stress in the real world all the time. 

The job interview was with a company I’d never heard of before, like Ubisoft or something? If that helps??

• TedEx

You blew it!!!! If you get stressed in a freakin' video game, I wonder how you would react to a stressful situation in real life 

In my opinion, it was a pretty good answer to that question. It's a good thing to be honest and speak about your personal experience. I think your interviewer perceived it in the right way.

No, you didn't answer the question. The interviewer asked HOW do you handle stressful situations not if you have ever been in a stressful situation.  Plus while a a video can be stressful, you can always hit the off button to end it.  Thus not a good example to use.  

No, and you can come up with some better choices of what to reply by Googling interview questions help. Pick out what you like better and practice saying it till it's memorized.

• KTJoe

Stressful situation answer is good but give more detail.

I'm a gamer so I am in stressful situation trying to win to conquer the game. I relax breath to see who's, who's; usually helps me win.  

No, it wasn't a good answer. Prospective employers aren't interested in your video gaming abilities. How fast you can press buttons on a controller doesn't prepare you for stressful employment situations. And an employer doesn't want to know that you think video games prepares you for life or jobs. They want to know how you deal with REAL life--not game life. How you might handle a difficult employee--how you might handle an angry customer--a looming deadline. 

And it says that you've been spending your time playing video games instead of looking around for jobs. That's probably the worst part of your answer--that you marked yourself as an immature or un-tried person who has not dealt with anything real at all. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 31 years.

Under these circumstances, probably not.

No, video games are nowhere near the stress of dealing with deadlines and customers in real life.  Using it as an example trivializes the question.  Pick another answer. 

Nope, not a good answer.  That goes double if you're currently unemployed.  You're giving the impression that gaming stress is equal to real life stressful situations, and this is completely false.  In fact, it sounds like something someone would say who has been at the controls far too much!  Hopefully, it won't end up killing your chances, but have something better in mind if you ever get asked this again.

• n2mama

If I’m honest, I don’t think that was a great answer. There is a big difference between dealing with stress in a virtual gaming situation than how you deal with stress when dealing with live people, either co-workers or customers. Plus, you didn’t really answer the question that was asked.  When an interviewer says “How do you handle” something, they want an example of either what you do (“when I’m in a stressful situation I try to evaluate what is making it stressful, break it into manageable steps, and address those steps in a systematic way”) or a specific example of how you dealt with a particular situation. Basically all you said was that you deal with stress well or that you work through constantly stressful situations well, b no details as to how you do so.