Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 month ago

Why does school teach things that you won’t remember?

I took Zoology for four months. I just finished it and now I literally don’t remember the class to which octopuses belong. I took three years of algebra and don’t remember the quadratic formula. 

Actually, after reading the other responses I think I can provide a better one.

Considering I have milked college for 8 or so years for an associates degree, I have learned TONS of stuff, some I hardly remember but some brings up interesting conversation when the time comes.

Anywho, take for example your going for your bachelors degree.  Your first impression might be, I am about to dedicate my life to 4 (or more) years in THIS FIELD and eventually get a career doing this crap.  But, if you check out the curriculum, the first two years is essentially electives - whatever you want to check out, psychology, philosophy, sociology, meteorology, the list goes on.  The reason they REQUIRE you to take WHATEVER you want, is to fine tune what YOU want to do and what your good at.  The credits will transfer to other degree programs, even though they dont specifically tell you that (wish my counselor did!!!).

So back to college, say you take psychology, algebra (most always required, trust me 3x over and i finally passed), computer programing, English 101, History of the World 1800-present - all of those courses are transferable in one fashion or another to a degree of your choosing.  Perhaps psychology isnt your thing but u passed with a C.  Ok, so a psych major inst your deal but itll count as an elective regardless.  Maybe you enjoyed history and English.  Perhaps teaching or law classes would be your next set of "electives" until you find your niche?  As I said you have 2 years of full time college to figure all that out - and chances are high that you've taken courses that are required for whatever program you decide to major in!  Sweet!

Point is, ya got 2 years worth of "electives" to find out what you enjoy most, and the school wants you to succeed, society included.  Your advisor will figure out transferring credits into whatever program you decide to pursue, no sense in wasting time right?

Plus, when you initially pick a major and class structure, your not signing a car loan or mortgage!  You have the freedom to drop a class for whatever reason (terms may apply). 

Additionally I would add, I agree with the statement "become a more rounded individual" because what I have described encompasses the entire spectrum of such.  I loved English class, I loved reading philosophy, debating with students and coming to a higher understanding of the text in question.

As I said, I stretched a 2 year degree into 4 years - I was forced to graduate lol!  On the flip side, I enjoy knowledge, sure I "forget" some stuff, but there is always some sort of application to it.  There are times ive said to myself "wtf does Niche have to do with my major?!? Why am I reading this crap, to pass an exam? An ends to a means???"  Indeed, yes, Sun Tzu, Niche, Kant, Dante, and many others have altered my way of thinking and interact with people.  Do I think I am better than a high school dropout? Fudge no, in fact, I would love to indulge in conversation.

As they say, there is no knowledge that is not power.  Educating yourself in turn, educates and influences others, just like a chemical reaction.  In its entirety, education is recipricol if used correctly.

There is no such thing as wasted or forgotten knowledge, think of it as a vacation to a destination that is completely unknown. 

Just take the red pill and see how far down the rabbit hole goes!  Ya never know where it will take you!

Source(s): tons of college

Because what else are all the teachers who spent $200k on getting their teaching degree going to do to make a living and pay back their college loans?

I don't remember 90% of what I learned in school but strangely enough I believe learning it was useful, kinda. I don't remember higher math but I do remember it's concepts and if push came to shove I could follow instruction to do the quadratic formula because I was exposed to it. I don't know what class an octopus is but if I ran into one in the ocean I would leave it alone and not freak out because I know it won't try to eat me. One day you'll have to decide what to do for a living and learn that field but since nobody knows what that is yet, this is what you get. Its not perfect but its better than being that person that thinks the earth is flat and that plants drink Gatorade because they need the electrolytes.

The most important thing school should teach you is how to reason and how to think.  Whether or not you remember anything, is up to you.

I think you make a good point.  Schools should spend more time teaching critical thinking skills and less time teaching things you won't remember.  Of course, some facts are essential to critical thinking, but they are more likely to be remembered if they are taught with some goal other than memorization.

That is your fault, not the fault of your school. They can only give out information, your brain will need to turn it into knowledge.  Personally I have forgotten most of what I learned in calculus classes, but I do not blame my school. I liked calculus, but I just haven't used it at all for decades. But if I take refresher courses or relearn it on my own, I think a lot of it will come back to me. 

You forget (in general) about 90% of the things you learn in school relatively quickly after the final exam, if you are not using them. No problem. The idea is to teach you how to think in the proper terms for that particular subject and that is something you should not forget.

• CRR

It's not necessarily what you remember but that you remember what you forgot. If you ever need it in the future you can look up the quadratic formula or the class for an octopus.

cuz your brain is like a sieve ? 

It isn't the school's fault you're a bad student. If you had studied better you would retain the lessons and even know how to apply them to life. Don't plan on going to college, or even trade school with your poor aptitude.