PTO gamble with covid travel, advice?

I'd like to fly to Mexico to visit my girlfriend for a week tomorrow. However, the new administration has decided in their infinite wisdom to require covid tests three days before any international return flight. If I go and I test positive I would have to quarantine in Mexico for two more weeks which would take all my PTO for the year (I plan to be as safe as possible with covid risks). Would you risk going the whole year without time off for a week with your partner? 

Thanks for the advice. 

can you drive???

It's not hard to not catch covid if you try.

If you and your girlfriend have been planning to see each other, then for the past 10 days you have been extra cautious, right?

And on the plane you plan on wearing 2 face coverings and have the vents open, right? (ie. two quality masks or a mask and face shield).

If your girlfriend (and people she is around) have not been taking precautions, I would not go.

If she has been, then she is simply part of your bubble, pod or whatever you choose to call it.

Then when you are there - you do things so you don't get covid.

Don't do indoor dining or other events were you are in a enclosed space for more than 10 minutes with people you don't know.

And in the unlikely event that you do test positive for covid, as long as you don't have symptoms (who wants to be on a plane with symptoms) -- you just photoshop the documents and protect the people around you by maintaining distance as much as you can before you are on the plane and while on the plane you wear a KN95 mask, a cotton mask over it, a face shield and keep the vent open. 

-- Remember, the transmission of covid on a plane is itty bitty.  As of October, there was believed to have been 42 cases, world wide.  Even the guy who died of covid on the plane, there was no transmission.

There's several variables that impact this. How long have you been with the company?  If it's been awhile, and the worst happens, they might be willing to let you "buy" a week, so you still have some time off.  Another variable is whether it's possible for her to come here instead.  That would seem ideal.  Overall, though, I don't think I'd risk this. It would be different (obviously) if it was Aug or Sept, but going almost a full year with no time off would be pretty stressful for most of us.

My advice is not to go.

It's a freakin' pandemic. I understand desperately wanting to see your girlfriend, but this is a personal sacrifice you need to make in order to keep others safe, no matter how careful you've been and plan to be.

I mean, look at all the people who just had to see family at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and the COVID surges after each, with thousands more deaths that could have been prevented.

I'm sorry, but stay home. Go a year. Go longer, if it keeps you, her, and everyone either of you comes in contact with safe.