Anonymous

Do people who flounder around in college and waste their education usually end up playing "catch up" after college to recover?

I have noticed that pretty much every single person I went to college with that I knew who partied all of college, skipped class, didn't do any internships, played video games all day, majored in an easy major such as "sports education" or "general studies" and skipped by barely passing their classes, etc etc. all ended up doing basically nothing after college and moving back in with their parents, depressed, working odd jobs and low paying jobs at restaurants, starbucks, clerical jobs, call center jobs, etc. trying to "find themselves". Many often went back to school to take it serious this time and chose a different major, wasting another 2-4 years, and some are still trying to recover even in their early 30's from what I can tell from my friends on facebook from college. Why do people squander their first opportunity in college? All of my friends who took their studies seriously and did internships, made the right choices, etc from 18-22 regardless of college major, all did well for themselves and are now in their late 20's early 30's and have no debt, own their own homes, and are getting married and having kids. All the people who didn't are still working minimum wage jobs and living with their parents and are still single.

Do you have an actual question?  It seems like you just want to rant against students who struggled in college.  What do you care? 

• y

It takes longer for some to cook then others.  For some, it clicks, the importance of what they are doing now, for their future. For others, they can tell you all the steps, why it is important to build that foundation, but the piece needed to put it into practice is missing. Basically the same as the one who is book smart, but can't do. Oh they have the answer, can tell you the start and the finish but can't tell you how to get there. We all process info differently, we all cook at different rates, it clicks at different times, if it clicks at all.

Yeah I often wonder that myself. Getting a generic degree without a plan for a future career is a very poor idea and ultimately waste of money/time imo.

They don't understand what the real world is like and haven't grown up yet. Honestly, those friends you referred to probably shouldn't have gone to college. Their time would be better spent figuring out a solid plan for the future, and then going to college only if necessary.

Generally speaking, people should choose degrees that give them marketable skills and make them attractive to employers. There's a couple of exceptions to that. Some professional programs (like medical schools) don't require a specific degree, only that you take required pre-requisite classes. In that case, you can major in anything that gives plenty of electives.

There's only a few types of degrees that are worth the money/time IMO and those are the STEM fields or anything involving research (for faculty/mentor guidance).