? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Should English be United States official language ?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It has been the main, dominant language for many years, it just isn't "official".  No language here is.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, not at this point. It would be a slap in the face to individuals who are already here that don't speak English very well on top of further disrespecting the languages that were used on the land before the invasion. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Should English be the official language of the United States?

Yes, it should. And I say that as a polyglot.

English proficiency should be a requirement for voting.  Those who don't speak English are left relying on translations -- which may or may not be accurate -- of what the candidates have to say.

Too many of my non-English speaking relatives have had entirely wrong political ideas because of the garbage they heard of their radio programs.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, all that would do is give people an extra excuse to stay monolingual and/or treat people who are not fluent in English like crap. Nobody should be confined to just one language.

Individual states, or even counties or highschools, having an official language that's not English, is a good thing

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No. Let them learn Navajo instead. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Absolutely YES. That there's even any debate on it is truly mind-boggling.

@Zirp: Your thesis has absolutely zero truth to it. People do not learn another language in the US simply because there isn't an "official" language (even though everyone knows it's English, and it is in fact the official language in more than 30 states).  As happens in just about every country on the planet, people congregate among those who are similar/speak the same language, with very little, if any, mixing.  Lack of an official language only leads to more division, not unity or cohesion.

• 1 month ago

No, it can not be

• 1 month ago

I see no need to have an official language.  We do speak English here.  Try going to the bank and speaking Finnish.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.