Anonymous

Earning a 2nd Bachelors vs Going for my Masters?

I currently have my Associates in Criminal Justice and Bachelors in Criminology. I'm thinking of going for my Bachelors in Cyber Security. I've been having trouble finding employment based on my degrees. TBH I'm starting to feel as if I wasted time, money and starting to feel like a failure. So long story short is it better to get a 2nd degree or go for my Masters in Criminology.

• Larry

I'd stick with your original going into a masters program. Your major can be Criminal Justice, Criminology or Cyber Security. Businesses need experts at things like that especially experts in Cyber Security or even an expert in computer programming Cyber Security. 

Do you like working with your hands? The trades have shortage right now. Being a master carpenter, master electrician, master plumber or in huge demand. My brother is a master carpenter, owns his own business and is a millionaire.

CJ & criminology have become fads & are overloaded. You need to choose what best suits YOU & your unique constellation of talents, interests, abilities, skills, personality & character traits. You love working with computers, know at least basic programming, love fiddling with your 'puter? If you have the talent, abilities, etc, for computer work, perhaps cyber security would suit you. But remember, loads of people are jumping on that bandwagon & could tip that over, too. If it's not a great fit for you, rethink what want to do with your life.

• Tavy

if you cannot get a job then why do you think a Masters will make any difference. here in the UK Criminology is a vanity degree, it does not lead to employment. thousands of kids have found that out.

• Squid

If you are not looking for a career in law enforcement in some form, yes those degrees are a waste of time and money.  Getting another Criminology degree isn't going to change that.

Cybersecurity is in demand.  

Masters degrees DO NOT HAVE MAJORS. There are plenty of dual master's degree programs now, but you usually have to take half the minimum number of courses for 1 masters degree before you can start taking courses for the  second masters. Plenty of people have 2 bachelors and masters degrees these days. WHY is?getting a?second bachelors degree such a bad idea especially when you you are young? 

Getting a master's degree is not going to give job experience unless you do an internship. Many master's degrees now require 2 internships, one of them unpaid. You are responsive for finding those internships and applying for them. There is NO guarantee you will be hired even if you do get your masters degree. Masters degrees often take longer than 2 years to earn and require research and writing and communications and strategy skills you may not have. 

Earning a second bachelors degree often requires at least 1 internship or community service. Depending on how old your first bachelors degree is, in the last 5 years, and how many credit hours transfer, it may take you only 2 years to earn a second bachelors degree if you ate a full time student. 

I have 3 bachelors degrees. My third bachelors degree took 2 years, but I had graduate school background and could take graduate level courses even as non degree seeking student. That's how I went back to school after 7 years. Then I became an obsessed degree seeking student for a year. I found out what sleep deprivation really means. Then I went back to graduate school.

EHY are so NY people so hostile to getting second bachelors degrees. Go to go tech school instead of college.