Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Why do people who want to lose weight continue to eat junk food?

For example, my sister is very overweight and she is always saying how good she eats, only salads and vegetables and chicken breast and broccoli, but she is always full of lies. I come to her house randomly one day and she has a box of Krispy Kreme donuts sitting there half eaten, her fridge is full of junk food, bags of chips open, soda, plates with pizza sauce and pepperoni's stuck to them in her sink. Then she starts laughing as I'm looking in her fridge and says "oops I messed up hahahahhaha", like it's some sort of joke, meanwhile she is 350 lbs and has developed diabetes from her weight and doesn't even take her insulin

Update:

Motivating her does nothing, she sees it as a "personal attack" and gets defensive and asks why you are trying to "trick her" into exercising and losing weight

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

She might be bingeing, or comfort eating or something.

• 1 month ago

She wants to be a miserable fatasś

Lv 7
    1 month ago

They do it because they enjoy the flavor and it's often convenient to eat (little to no preparation required). 

• 1 month ago

Can you "motivate" an alcoholic or a heroine user into quitting?  No--because they are addictions, and recovering is a very complicated procedure involving behavioral and emotional support.  The same goes for overeating.

Many people overeat to compensate for emotional trauma.  To ask them to suddenly stop would destroy the one thing that keeps them going.  If you are not a trained counsellor, you are not qualified to help, and if you have already judged her as being weak, you are the last person to help her, anyway.  You could kindly suggest she join Overeaters Anonymous, and then back away--you've done all you could.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because it tastes good. It's an addiction. 

• 1 month ago

She's addicted to eating. It comforts her. Many people end up like this because food is always there. Calling her out, calling her names, trying to literally force her to lose weight will not help at all. She's to the point of needing therapy to work out her eating issues if she can't stick to a lifestyle change.

• Rick
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

they only SAY they want to lose weight, because they DO something else .............

• 1 month ago

Help her and motivate her to lose weight

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.