Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

why were people rearranging the furniture on the titanic when it was sinking ?

if I were on the ship my only concern would be to get my stuff and get a lifeboat

• F

You must be hilarious in real life if you take everyday phrases so literally.

I've been reading Titanic books, and many of the passengers were told " this ship will never sink" and they just stayed with that idea. They may not have done the furniture, but they sat around and played cards etc.

They weren't.  The saying "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" is a metaphor for futile action which doesn't address the real, serious, problem one is facing.  It's obviously pointless to rearrange chairs on a sinking ship.

They were doing no such thing, that is a stupid myth.

• JuanB

They weren't doing that.  That would be like putting lipstick on a pig.

It might be too confusing for you, to explain what was meant.

• Matt

the people on the titanic were not rearranging the furniture when it went down. it is an idiom which is often used to describe a futile action in the face of impending catastrophe. The phrase was first used in print in 1969, in Time Magazine, in reference to reforms in the Catholic Church.

probably so when the ship was tilting,,,it didnt crash into people