Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?

These days, is it mandatory for music to play in public places practically every where you go?

It seems that every time i step into a store, restaurant, and other places, there's always music playing over the intercoms. It's not that i'm hater of music, it's just that it's kind of getting old having to listen to it all the time instead of just having sweet silence from time to time. Which is why i'm asking is it mandatory for music to play in public places practically every where you go?

• Danny

Got me thinking, but maybe it isn't as much as it used to be? There was "elevator music" or "Muzak", which was crazy-bad, often just some generic instrumental cover of some blah pop stuff. Retail intercoms sometimes do seasonal stuff, and, yes, retail people can just about go nuts hearing twelve hundred repetitions of "Let it Snow", "Jingle Bell Rock", etc. - but market research suggests it can push sales. 

Meantime, bars and some restaurants might often play some more decent stuff, best if it fits their spot. A couple of BBQ joints here usually play blues, which really worked for them. Thank your God you don't have to listen to a looped recording of 'Stairway in a guitar store. 

No, it is not mandatory.  Sometimes when I get put on hold while I am on the phone, I hear horrible music.  

There is no law. Requiring it

• ?

I agree. Music is meant to be listened to, not to be used as more noise in the background. People who like this kind of thing don't like music, they like noise.

I know.  It really does get annoying.  Especially when they play the same song over and over.  I can't begin to imagine what its like for the staff who work in these places.  

• GF

Nope, not where I live. The only place that plays music that can be heard in public is the parking lot of Walmart. They don't play music inside though. It is the only local place that plays music. 

Modern music, cRAP, isn't much good even for background noise to cover other ambient noise.

I love music. You can have silence at home or in your car