Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 4
? asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

Why don't Windows based applications allow you to either run it from the disk or install it?

Back in the 1980s you could run programs on a disk, sorta like a videogame console. Now you HAVE to install the program.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

copyright -- if it would run from the disk, the entire thing could be copied an infinite number of times and then the makers would not be paid

• 1 month ago

Norton Antivirus Protects Your Computer System

norton liveupdate failed to complete

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Most windows programs that are free have no issue being run from removable media

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

If you know how you can take the program files after you extract them and you can copy them to a thumb drive then you can plug that thumb drive into any Windows computer and click on the executable that starts the program. Now as long as you copy program files and the hidden program files it'll run just fine I do it all the time.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

'New and improved' always means more money for the company and less flexibility for you. I remember when you could record anything you wanted as a ringtone for your cellphone. Now you have an infinite choice of bad apps and no easy option to actually record anything yourself, i.e. 'new and improved.' 

Of course, it is fun to get an old system and just pretend it's the 1980's. They are still around like wooden ships docked among a fleet of high speed motorboats. 

• Lv 7
    2 months ago

people used to copy those old floppy disks and trade them around, too. so Windows integrated a registry system to stop that.

besides, who wants to keep switching out disks to run different programs?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.