Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What time signature should I use in the piano song?

I have a melody that I can't understand what time signature is better for it... It's definitely with 8 notes, so I think between 6/8, 7/8, or something else... It goes straight 6/8 in the beginning but then it slightly changes on 2 beats, like in 2/4 or 4/4 for one bar, and then again goes 6/8... Something like:

ONE two three One two three | ONE two three One two three |...But then it changes for a one time to ONE two Three four | ONE two three One two three | ONE two three One two three|...Should I change the time signature for this one bar every time or it's more likely 7/6? Or something else?... It's the main theme and happens very often through the entire song, so if I'm gonna change it for one this bar I'll have to make these changes very often... I'm not sure it's right.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • mars
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Try 7/4 (Money- Pink Floyd), 7/8 (Tom Sawyer- Rush), 5/4 (15 Step- Radiohead), 6/4 (Electric Feel- MGMT).

• 2 months ago

If you'd shown us the music we could make more intelligent comments.

In the 20th century we started having composers who challenged the old rules.  We had music without a key, music without a time signature, and by the 80s we'd arrived at the ultimate--rap music--music without MUSIC!

I've seen music that had two measures of 2/4 and two measures of 3/4 and then one measure of 5/4.  You could do that!  I'm not saying I could sight-read it, but you can do it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.