Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 week ago

My lawyer recommends other lawyers to me?

I own a small business and the business has needed a lawyer for a few things.  I’ve been clear with the lawyer who I picked that funds are limited and I want to know the exact price before any work is done.  He told me that he’s work out a budget with me before any billable work is done.  He’s been really helpful and has done a few things for me and hasn’t charged.

Each time I ask him for a fee quote for a project now, he responds with a list of lawyers who he recommends and he tells me that their fees are probably lower than his.

What does he mean by this?

• Bruce
    1 week ago

You have made it clear your funds are limited, and he referred you to a cheaper lawyer.  There is no reason to dig further. 

• 1 week ago

He means he won't do the job for the limited funds that you are willing to pay so you should hire one of the others.

• Yeti
    1 week ago

It's rare that attorneys can work based on a fixed price quote. The vast majority of the time, they bill by the hour.

Your desire to have an exact price up front is almost certain to cause problems for the attorney. You might start making problems resulting in hours and hours more time, but then the attorney is trapped by the price quote. If you're focused on price, you're not really understanding value of the necessary work that can be involved.

Since this is an ongoing thing, I'd expect the attorney is getting annoyed with the system of operation. And he's probably trying to gently send you to attorneys with lower fees... who also are going to talk sense into you about how they need to bill and why. You can keep going to him if you want, but I expect he's seeing that it's not going to work, and he's eventually going to have to bill you at a rate (even with fixed quotes) that you cannot afford with your price obsession.

• kswck2
    1 week ago

He knows You cannot afford him. 

1 week ago

He feels his time and resources are better spent on clients who can pay for their legal advice.  He's doing you a favor.

• 1 week ago

He is just telling you his prices are higher [likely because of experience]. 

• Maxi
    1 week ago

He doesn't want to be your legal adviser

• 1 week ago

He is recommending lawyers to you that probably have fees lower than his.  It’s simple.   They probably also have less experience.   Attorneys tend to charge more as they become more successful and experienced.  He is telling you in a very nice way to move on with a different lawyer.   You aren’t cost effective for him.  

Go with a different lawyer, or stop complaining.   Ask him if you can make payments on your bill - most lawyers will let you make regular, monthly payments on your bill.  

• BB
    1 week ago

Your budget concerns may have convinced him that you might get more bang for the buck with another lawyer who may be just starting a practice or who has less overhead, resulting in a lower cost per billable hour.

• Audrey
    1 week ago

He is just trying to save you some money. (or you can't pay him what he charges.