Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Should you replace car coolant at recommended 30k miles?

I'm at 66k

The age of the vehicle is 2007

You should do what the owner's manual recommends.

oil cools the engine and freon (?) cools the passenger space, so Im not sure which coolant were talking about.

Read the owner's manual: there should be a chart for normal and severe driving: decide which applies to you and follow that.

• garry

what type of coolant , ordinary or long life , it depends on what the coolant maker says , not your car maker . read the label on the bottle .

If you have DexCool antifreeze I'd change it every 30,000 miles or 3 years because it tends to plug up heater cores and radiators. The green antifreeze gets acidic over time. I change green antifreeze every 60,000 miles or every 4 years.

It's usually done on a time basis, but if your manufacturer recommends a mileage then go by that. A good coolant contains not only antifreeze but also a corrosion inhibitor and a little something to help lubricate the water pump.  These lose their protective properties over time. Personally I change ours every few years no matter what the mileage. 

My VW Bora change oil 10,000 Miles including Filter Gearbox every 2 Years Manual Coolant every 2 years Brake fluid every 2 years

all done by me Oil $35 Castrol Edge Filter $10 that is $45 saving $105 because My Labour is free

Thumbs down I have been Driving and Riding since 1953, but it is Your car Your money I am giving Honest advice Take it or Leave it

The coolant should be CHECKED far more often than that. It should be replaced based on condition, not miles.

• arther

when its time to open the cooling system as in replace hoses flush out rad and heater core replace water pump until then we don't bother we like long life toyota red coolant as most of our cars are Toyota that take that stuff its not cheap. 

Being doing that way for the last 20 years now.  about timing belt time usually.

You should follow the manufacturer's recommendation;  on my cars that is based on time, not miles . . . since I don't put many miles on its not uncommon to have coolant changed at 3 years with only 15,000 miles . . . . . coolant doesn't lose it's ability to prevent freezing but does lose anti-rust and lubricant protections.

After 14 years, YES, change it with ATF.