Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Disney has added a warning over "negative stereotypes" to the Muppet Show. Have you heard it all now?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The only thing I do not understand is who decided these ridiculous things, and who makes the rules that everyone has to follow.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's not on every episode, just certain ones. For example, Episode 3 with Joel Grey, the Muppets do a number about Turkey which could be considered offensive. There are jokes about the Polish, Spanish, French, and other countries that all rely on stereotypes. While I agree that was catering a little bit, it's important to acknowledge that the stereotypes exist. They also had some offensive jokes regarding women. So yeah, even the Muppets was kind of offensive, but what 70's comedy wasn't?

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Oh, who the hell cares? I suggest that you get over yourself, dear.

• 1 month ago

Your question has nothing to do with Books & Authors. Please click on Edit, and move it to a more suitable category.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Zac Z
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"Have you heard it all now?" I didn't before you posted this "question" - I have now. So what?

------------------

@ Jimmy C: You wrote: "Nothing is safe any more from censorship."

Question to you: how is it censorship if nothing is censored? Seems illogical to me. Care to illuminate me?

Or is it that you just wrote a response ignorant of even the basic facts, such as the following passage which is found only a few sentences in the linked article?

Quote:

Disney's disclaimer added: "Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together."

• 2 months ago

Three cheers for Uncle Walt!  All the muppets are fascist pigs, especially Miss Piggy.  And the way they treat Swedish doctors is appalling, what with all that ´hurrrdy gurrrrdy' stuff.

• 2 months ago

It's a true story that the Muppet Show involved stereotypes. If people are going to be upset by that, I guess the warning is appropriate. 

• 2 months ago

They are catering to the social justice warriors. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

They should also add warnings to any liberal organisations as they too constantly use negative stereotypes in society and media. 

• Marli
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Good for Disney.  They acknowledge that what they are showing is a racial stereotype, but they show it.  You can still see it. Nothing but your conscience will make you uneasy about seeing it, now that the "warning" is visible. 

They can still show it and you can still see it. No loss of profits to them or to you.I like Gone With the Wind, Johnny Cash, The Lady and the Tramp and the Muppet Show.  John's voice always sent shivers through me and the shows and movies were well done. But there are symbols that should be marked as wrong or debatable so that people ponder why they are so.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.