Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Disney has added a warning over "negative stereotypes" to the Muppet Show. Have you heard it all now?

The only thing I do not understand is who decided these ridiculous things, and who makes the rules that everyone has to follow.

It's not on every episode, just certain ones. For example, Episode 3 with Joel Grey, the Muppets do a number about Turkey which could be considered offensive. There are jokes about the Polish, Spanish, French, and other countries that all rely on stereotypes. While I agree that was catering a little bit, it's important to acknowledge that the stereotypes exist. They also had some offensive jokes regarding women. So yeah, even the Muppets was kind of offensive, but what 70's comedy wasn't?

• ?

Oh, who the hell cares? I suggest that you get over yourself, dear.

Your question has nothing to do with Books & Authors. Please click on Edit, and move it to a more suitable category.

• Zac Z

"Have you heard it all now?" I didn't before you posted this "question" - I have now. So what?

------------------

@ Jimmy C: You wrote: "Nothing is safe any more from censorship."

Question to you: how is it censorship if nothing is censored? Seems illogical to me. Care to illuminate me?

Or is it that you just wrote a response ignorant of even the basic facts, such as the following passage which is found only a few sentences in the linked article?

Quote:

Disney's disclaimer added: "Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together."

Three cheers for Uncle Walt!  All the muppets are fascist pigs, especially Miss Piggy.  And the way they treat Swedish doctors is appalling, what with all that ´hurrrdy gurrrrdy' stuff.

It's a true story that the Muppet Show involved stereotypes. If people are going to be upset by that, I guess the warning is appropriate. 

They are catering to the social justice warriors. 

They should also add warnings to any liberal organisations as they too constantly use negative stereotypes in society and media. 

• Marli

Good for Disney.  They acknowledge that what they are showing is a racial stereotype, but they show it.  You can still see it. Nothing but your conscience will make you uneasy about seeing it, now that the "warning" is visible. 

They can still show it and you can still see it. No loss of profits to them or to you.I like Gone With the Wind, Johnny Cash, The Lady and the Tramp and the Muppet Show.  John's voice always sent shivers through me and the shows and movies were well done. But there are symbols that should be marked as wrong or debatable so that people ponder why they are so.