Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Growing my first garden, help?

My husband and I bought our first house, so I can finally have a garden!! I'm so excited! What do you wish you knew before growing your first garden??

• ?

I wish I realized how important it was to ammend the soil with nutrients like compost and pete moss. I wondered why my plants were struggling in my soil.

Learn which plants are native to your area. They grow the best and remain healthy. If you have deer (ask neighbors), plant only dear resistant plants.

Create a garden with a mix of annuals and perennials for everblooming color throughout the growing season.

Buy a set of GOOD garden tools and take good care of them. Including garden gloves.

Learn how to compost.Also, for potted plants and window boxes, I learned to use water crystals to extend watering periods. Water crystals are tiny beads that you mix in w/ the potting soiI. When watered, the crystals plump up with water to release the water as the soil begins to dry out.

I also used the water crystals when planting perennials so they developed a good root system the 1st year.

Miracle Grow fertilizer is your friend.

Water in the morning, not at night.

If you are planting foundation plants or shrubs (close to the house), remember to give them plenty of clearance to grow to their full width and height or they will ghow to scrape your house, not have air circulation and become diseased.

Use rain barrels along your house, the shed and garage. It's free and easy water!

If you have a soggy area, consider installing a rain garden!

Remove all trees that grow tall that are within 25' of your house. Tall trees cause gutter and roof problems and allow animals to climb and have access to your roof/attic!

Research ground cover in your growing Zone as it is great to grow in many locations...under trees, on slopes, along foundations or along a wooded area.

Grow fragrant flowers near open windows.

Grow flowers in the colors you use in your house as they look so nice in a vase.

If you cook, you have to grow herbs. I like to grow my herbs in containers or as part of my window boxs, close to my kitchen door. When growning herbs in containers, I seem to avoid pests, dirty leaves and rabbit munching.

Good luck and congrats on your new house.

Ok, I think I've given you enough work for 5 years! LOL!

• Rita

How to Start a Garden – 10 Basic Steps

Decide what you'd like to grow.

Choose a location.

Plan your garden beds.

Invest in basic garden tools.

Test your soil.

Prepare the soil.

Choose the right seeds or transplants.

Plant with care.

That is exciting! Plant lots of kitchen herbs near the kitchen. They make every meal just so much better! Too easy! Plus they're good for you.

• kswck2

By far-the FIRST thing you need to know is what kind of Wildlife you have in the neighborhood, and plan your garden that way. For example, squirrels will eat nearly Anything-however they do Not like tomatoes(the leaves are poisonous to them) or marigolds-so it may benefit you to put in marigolds between some vegetables to chase them away. Talk to you local Nursery for help. 

Dirt: Have it tested. Good dirt Has earthworms in it. If not, add some compost or Peat Moss. Or whatever the Nursery recommends. 

Vegetables like Celery need a Drip hose, since they are 90% water, while string beans do not, so don't plant them together.  Brussels Sprouts need to be Heavily staked-they will get heavy and lean to the side if not. 

Don't know the extent of your knowledge but, Herbs will grow most anywhere-BUT-Basil is grown for the Leaf-the flowers need to get cut off, else the leaf will sour. Oregano will grow anywhere, as will parsley-but parsley attracts green caterpillars(at least it does for me). 

Probably the BEST thing for you to do is to go to the Nursery-alone with a pen and paper and take notes-take a whole day to do it-and Learn. 

If you've neighbours who were there before you have a peek over the hedge and see what they're doing.  they've probably found what works in that area and what doesn't.

It's always good to introduce yourself to the neighbours anyway and have a friendly chat. You can learn a lot like that.  You might find one who's a keen gardener and who will be delighted to pass on his knowledge and even maybe help.

Get a good beginners book.

Have someone who knows about gardens come out and look at it to give you some starters.

You can never use too much soil amendments.

Don't be too ambitious. Start small. Expand as you learn what works, what plants you really enjoy, what conditions apply in your garden (which may be different on different sides of your house, for example, if one side is in the sun all day and the other is not), and how much time you really have to spend on gardening.

I mention the conditions that apply in your garden because putting a plant in conditions that suit it means you're more likely to get great plants. There's a lot of stuff I'd love to grow but since there is nowhere on my lot where there really is full sun, some things just don't do well here. Deer walk through my garden regularly and fencing is too expensive, so my basic criteria for plants is that they don't need full sun and that deer don't like them.

Your soil is extremely important.  Make sure it's properly turned and that your have the proper amount of compost/garden planting soil mixed in.  You don't have to over think it, but don't expect good growth if you don't supplement the earth.  

Learn to compost.  For me, that full cycle of kitchen to soil back to kitchen (assuming you're growing food) is a great feeling.

Do everything you can to avoid pesticides.  They are evil.  They kill bees and get into the soil and eventually water to do more damage.  It's easy to be lax about this and say 'well I only use a little', but do your part.  Look for alternatives (you can find them in stores if you don't want to try home remedies.)  Your garden will be better off because of it.

Along with what everyone else said, TIMING is very important when you're getting into gardening. You want certain flowers/plants by spring? Well, some have to get started and planted in the fall. You want lush, green grass? You need to know when to sod and reseed and all that. Also, know that many fruit trees can take years to bear anything edible and some even require two trees to pollinate, if you go that route.

I'd also do some research as to what bugs and pests the plants you choose will attract, if any. My mom made that mistake with lavender. Not that she hates it, but she wished she had planted it farther away from the front door, as that attracts bees like CRAZY! 

Plant What You Eat

In planting vegetables in your yard, you have to consider how much space you have and how big or small you would prefer the area to be. Here are some tips for a small, medium, or more extensive vegetable garden.I have used gaura in both containers and ornamental beds, and it did well in southwest Florida. It was cut back when the flowering declined, which made it grow back stronger and produce another round of flowering.Garden SizeFor the small garden space, you can plant your vegetables in pots or containers. You can purchase plants that are modified for container growth, like patio tomatoes or hanging baskets.Visit my Blog with Gardening information: https://gardenfrontier.com/