How can my father chang his name to my name on his old car? ?

Im also 19 so I know I can have it under my name but what would have to be done?

Where I live (earth), I have to get Transfer papers which are free, just more government documents for them to follow the life of the car through its VIN.  A copy of this goes from the government to the police department so they know who to return the car to if it gets stolen(or used in a bank heist) "Whatever"

I would, if I were you keep it in dad's name and it is like his second car so the insurance rate is lower. You are the "occasional driver" so you pay for your insurance at the lower rate.  Insurance companies knows this happens and also know that you are either in college or uni. or are working  all day at a factory or building houses so you ain't driving around.  The car is parked at home when you sleep and is used to get you to school or work and it is parked again.  Parked cars don't get into crashes. ..so basically you are occasionally driving it.  Dad may never drive you wheels again (which is totally fine by you)so, essentially it is your car except in legal name.  If you wanted to sell it you need his signature on the bottom as it is his car legally.  When you can save $100+ a year on car insurance, why not?  It is more money for beer...or whatever.  It did not go to the insurance company..  My dad drove for 57 years without a single crash. So insurance made money off of him. And it makes money off of MOST DRIVERS as most do not crash their wheels.  I feel it is a fair trade off.  You being the occasional driver means you get to borrow it occasionally.  Insurance if fine with that. They are not Gestapo or KGB

• May

by selling or giving it to you.

Probably best to just keep it in his name.  You can still drive it, insure it and later trade it or sell it you just need his signature then.

Otherwise you are looking at the title transfer fee and in some states, sales tax even for a gift.

Sign the title to you and fill out a vehicle gift form stating the vehicle is a gift to a family member so no tax is owed. You go to the DMV with proof you have insurance and register it in your name.

He sells the vehicle to you for One Dollar since you are a family member. he then signs the title over to you. Then you need to go to your local DMV and pay for registration and license plates.

Your father "sells" the car to you.  Then you go the DMV with the signed title and proof of insurance and maybe a smog inspection.

1- Title the vehicle to you;

2- You register and insure the car;

3 - The end.

• Bill

He signs the title over to you.  You and he prepare a bill of sale, saying it's a gift.  (I used the bill of sale in the link below when I gave my son a car.)  You get insurance for the car.  Go to your Department of Motor Vehicles (or whatever your state calls it) and present the signed title and bill of sale and proof of insurance.  They will give you a registration and send you a title in your name.  

do a  Title  Transfer   ,,,,,  (IN This State, there is  no  TAX between  Family members )