Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Got Cat Without Telling Parents, How Do I Tell Them?

I just adopted a new kitten off craigslist, and she is so adorable. I already bought her kitten food, litter, toys, and a bed. She is extremely well behaved (potty trained, doesn’t mess with things in my room, etc.) and she loves to cuddle (the sweetest cat I’ve ever met in my life). HOWEVER, I already have two cats and my parents were very certain that there would be no new cats in our future, at least until I move out (for reference I am about to be 17 next month). I don’t know how to tell them that I got her! Does anyone have any ideas?

Don't listen to the mean answers. Nobody should talk to people like that.

It wasn't a great idea to get a cat when you already have two and your parents have already in effect said no, but it's there. You'll have to come clean at some point, and your parents might say you have to find a new home for it. Or they might let you keep it. I would start by apologizing and saying you just couldn't resist. Tell them that if they let you keep the kitten, you'll do some work around the house or yard that they need done.

Also, they may be concerned that you might move somewhere in a couple of years that doesn't allow pets and they would get stuck with your cats.

Best of luck with your parents and cats. Here are my three cats. I think three is a good upper limit!

First, you need to acknowledge to yourself that your choice to get the cat was disrespectful to them and the fact that you're asking this question suggests you already have a sense of this.  Next, you need to make a list of things your parents have done for you and show gratitude.  They're not going to be around forever to cushion you from your choices.  Finally, own up to your actions and accept the consequences without complaint.

Source(s): Just my opinion.

Well... You walk into the house, holding the kitty, & say "Mom, I'm really sorry, I tried not to...but, I just couldn't help it."

• ?

She could always be a "stray"  that turned up at your school/work/ a parking lot/wherever.  Are your parents THAT cold and black-hearted that they'd throw the babycat out to the streets?  If they did that, you should NEVER let them - or anyone else they know - forget it.  SHAME your parents into letting you keep her if you have to.  If they are cruel and make you get rid of her, you BLAST them on social media for their CRUELTY.  You have options.  She's adorable.  And still a kitten. I'm sure if they meet her she will charm them.  

Star of Darkness is an inbred Qpublican who is quite obviously UNeducated and that BS he/she is telling you about the FAKE "legalities" of owning a cat as a minor is just MORE of this trumpian Qanon crap.  There is NO such law. ANYWHERE! Just IGNORE his/her profound IGNORANCE!

How irreslonsible and disrespectful to bring in yet another financial responsibility that they should not have to pay fo. Hope you've got yourself a job kid because if you think youre mature enough to make decisions like bring in life long commitments like a pet then YOU need to be the one paying for all of its needs. Your parents shouldn't have to pay a single cent towards it.

• Raven

You should have thought of the cat you just bought. Now you probably will have to take her back and she will have to go through all that upset and trauma again.

• keerok

Ideas? Are you ready to move out?

• ?

That was a really stupid thing for you to do. You live in your parents house, not yours.You had no right, to get any animal behind their backs, without their approval. I hope you realize, that once your parents do find out you did this, without their permission and they will find out,

they will most likely, make you get rid of the cat. You cannot hide it.You cannot hide her in your room forever. Don't get too attached, because you will not have the cat for long and your parents will no longer trust anything you say or do. Shame on you.

What the hell is wrong with you?  

This is not something you do when you're living with someone else.  Decisions like this should be made collectively.  If I were your folks, I'd make you give her up.

Put the cat in some stew. Taste delicious.