Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

Teaching English to a 7th Grader?

I am currently teaching English to a 7th grader but her level is extremely low compared to what she should know at her age and so I have to help her with the basics but I'm not even sure where to begin. She lacks basic grammar, spelling, and comprehensive abilities, so I would need tips on how to help her grasp what she's being taught in a simple and straightforward way.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Nicey8
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

You can read stories from a few storybooks to her, that are suitable for Grade 4 or 5 and highlight the grammar and spelling of certain words and phrases. Then give her simple instructions on grammar and spelling taken from assessment books of grade 5. Then slowly move her up to Grade 7.

• 2 months ago

absent a proper evaluation, there is no guarantee that this young lady should even be struggling with normal material ... SpEd might be more appropriate for her and that needs to be checked.  [school board is legally liable if it fails to check and, if she is eligible, prepare a proper IEP.]

• 2 months ago

We need more information. Is this person a native speaker of English, or an ESL student? What is her educational background? If English is her second language, she needs to develop fluency. Don't worry about the grammar and spelling at this point- those are developmental. One of the best things you can do for her is to get her reading- read to her, pick one or two words for her to read as you read the rest, if you need to. She needs vocabulary more than anything else. Use pictures and play vocabulary games. The Oxford Picture Dictionary is a good source- the teacher's guide has lots of ideas for vocabulary. 

Where is she in school? Public schools have trained ESL teachers who know what to do for the students. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.