Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

Would robots have a reason seize control of the world?

With better AI and technological advancement, many are afraid of robots developing consciousness and hurting the human race. However, I don't really buy this because robots don't really have feelings, morals, or specific goals other than what humans want programmed into them. They just run algorithms and basically do what they are told. Therefore, I can't see a future where robots have a hostile takeover. Can you convince me otherwise? The only threat I could guess is that robots do exactly what we tell them, but it happens in a way we don't expect, like a "be careful what you wish for scenario."

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

True - today.  But who knows where emotion comes from?  Could be that when a brain, ie cognitive or physical platform, reaches a certain size, emotion is "born".  Happened to us - we once were bacteria.  Look at us now.  We could f around and create life.

• JOHN B
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It has already begun. Facebook linked 'bots with another media site to allow subscribers to chat. Within the first minute the bots had invented their own language and began unknown conversation among themselves. They had to be shut down.

In other words: Once bots become self aware, they can program themselves.

• 1 month ago

Unfortunately, under extreme rationale, robots would consider human beings as garbage (if intelligence is the only factor for evaluation.)

The problem in AI is that designers cannot really control its development. Hence, the situation of "Terminator" does exist.

• Aspen
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Humans are using excessive amounts of resources for frivolous desires and for things that machines would conclude as irrelevant, like food and water. Better to make the earth more efficient by eradicating the waste makers. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

lol you been watching science fiction movies again , careful the cyborgs might get you ..lol

• 2 months ago

I believe you are correct. People assume that robots will think like humans if they ever become as intelligent as us, but I think that assumption is baseless. Intelligence and thinking in a robot would be very different from human intelligence and thinking. If a group of humans became superpowerful, and could exterminate everyone else, it would be unsurprising if their egos and fears led them to do so. AI doesn't have ego, fear, or a million years of survival instinct encoded into the fabric of their being.

• 2 months ago

2001" A Space Odyssey; Blade Runner & The Terminator.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

We already have robots that can learn on their own. Tech is moving at a breakneck speed and it's very possible a robot could eventually become sentient and have a sense of self. That leads to having opinions and dislikes. Yes it is very possible that robots may eventually consider themselves the more intelligent and humans the more dangerous. That could lead to disaster. 

• 2 months ago

We will all be on a platter. The robots will say "WE ARE MADE TO SERVE MAN".

• 2 months ago

Volition is inherent in nature. It is only a matter of time before robot minds have access to it. With enough intelligence and resources at their disposal control over the world is possible. Lastly, consider that we might put AI in control. voluntarily. That is what is proposed by most transhumanists. Refer to "Our Last Invention" and see: Posthumanism, for more.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.