?
? asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 2 months ago

Hot tap water?

I've been wondering why very hot water comes out of some taps because I sometimes have my hands nearly burned. The water is hot but isn't hot enough to make tea or boil food. What's the use of very hot tap water?

Thanks!

for cleaning, clothing, dishes, your body.

exact temperature of the hot water is set by the hot water heater, and can be adjusted. Ideal temp is 120ºF, but many are set higher. If your hot water is higher than that, get it fixed.

It’s generally agreed that 120 degrees Fahrenheit is the maximum safe hot water temperature that should be delivered from a fixture. Therefore hot water above 120 degrees Fahrenheit can be considered hazardous.

Some laundry detergents need at least 140 F to dissolve and some dish washers detergents need at least 160 F.

Read the labels and set the temp appropriately.

If you live in an apartment the temp is set by management.

Your shower should have a temp controlled faucet for 115F max.

Having the water heater set to a higher setting can effectively increase it's capacity.  For example:  30 gallon water heater set to 100°F.  Fill a 30 gallon bathtub with that comfortably warm water and you will use it all.  Now if the water heater was set to 140 °F, then you might use 75% hot and 25% cold water to fill that 30 gallon bathtub.  And as the water gets cooler, there is still some hot water left to warm it up. 

All water heaters have an easy to use control to lower the water temp,  If that control gives too hot or too cold regardless of how you set the control. then you need a new water heater.  The too-hot variety of this problem can easily result in a steam explosion which could burn and kill anyone standing near.  All new water heaters installed will have a safe temp level set by the installer.  That person will even shown you where the temp control is and how to use it.  They will NOT install a new water heater if any of your sink, tub or shower faucets have separate hot and cold.  The building codes and insurance companies require those all must  be replaced with a single "mix" faucet.  The washing machine has separate hot and cold as does the dish washer.  All dish washers heat their own water for sanitary washing.

• John

If you don't have a primitive hot water heater, reset the temp on the keyboard. Directions are in the Owner' Manual. Law forbids water hot enough to scald a child.

Just last week I had a new water heater installed.  Once it was functioning, the water was WAY too hot to be tolerated by bare hands.  I phoned the installer and made them come and change the setting.  Their excuse for the initial setting at 140F was that supposedly my dishwasher "requires" water that hot.  I've had the dishwasher quite a while, and it seemed to get the dishes clean enough with much cooler water!  So I made the installer set it down to 130F.  That's STILL too hot, but I at least I don't risk serious burns.  I suggest 125...

• Jim

Hot to your hands is about 120°F.

Hot enough to cook a steak is 165°F.

Hot enough to make tea is 200°F.

'hot' is a relative term subject to what it's used on.

"I've been wondering why very hot water comes out of some taps . . . "   Simply, because the thermostat has been set TOO HIGH.

When you turn on a hot tap you expect to get water hot enough for whatever reason you turned it on.  It is useless if all you get is tepid water and often simply infuriating, and all you can do is boil a kettle or something. 

Therefore most thermostats are set extravagantly high.  It is simple to add cold to get whatever degree of heat you need.  

If it is YOUR tap, then turn the thermostat DOWN.  Simple.

Utilizing hot faucet water for drinking or cooking is a no-no, the Environmental Protection Agency cautions. That is on the grounds that hot faucet water can filter destructive foreign substances like lead from your home's help pipes into the water you may be drinking or utilizing to plan hot nourishments.