Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 2 months ago

Humidity under floorboards?

It gets quite hot in my area so I purchased a portable Air Conditioner online which I like to keep running throughout the day. However since I live on the ground floor I don't always feel safe leaving my window open to vent out the heat so I began venting it under the floorboards instead. My floorboards are timber (build in the 1950s), and so far this method has been working fine for me.

However could this cause long-term problems such a mold or humidity?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

That will be fine and will not cause any problems 

• 1 month ago

Venting it WHERE??????  Under your floorboards???   You're going to rot out your entire floor. I do not understand the stupidity that led to this decision. It's absolutely incredible. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It already has caused mold and rot.  How could you not understand that?  Have a vent hole installed much like the one for you clothes dryer.  End of problem.

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

yes humidity in enclosed spaces causes mildew mold and damage and rot  to  wood get a one 8th in piece of plywood,cut a hole in the centre  for the AC hose end exhaust,secure with duck tape,place the plywood cut to lgth and height to fit neat and snug into the storm frame, use a couple nails to lock the closed window so it seals at the plywood top..like you would a dryer vent hose to outside

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Would you vent a bathroom directly into an attic? This is essentially what you have done. You are increasing the humidity levels in a confined area, that will lead to rot and mold. Stop doing that.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can duct it to the outside air, but don't use the floor void as a plenum. As you raise the moisture content of the timbers, you risk dry rot and beetle infestation. Personally I would fit a wall grille, as high off the ground as possible. 

• 2 months ago

im a builder ..very poor idea ..yes it will cause condensation on underside of flooring as well  as store the hot air the pipe should be extended outside 

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

What you are doing is pumping the heat out of your living area, under your living area.

And then a fair portion of that heat re-radiates back into your living area through the floor.

Do you see what a bad idea this is?

• T C
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I have to agree with J .... unless you are venting to a well circulated area.

What is below the floor boards? ....crawl space? basement?

If you are venting to a confined space it will eventually cause problems due to the moisture (humidity) being removed from your living space...

• J
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Bad idea, it will eventually cause problems.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.