Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Do you really think that Mobile 1 Extended Milage Fully Synthetic Oil is good for 15K miles?

I use Mobile 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter.

Every car HAS to burn oil. It’s impossible for it not to. That’s why when you check the oil a thousand miles after the oil change, there’s always a bit missing. After 15k miles there will be no more oil in the crankcase. Engine goes boom!

There’s an oil leak you don’t know about, oil will disappear even faster. 

If you have a car, it behooves you to learn how much oil it consumes with every gas tank. That’s why you check your oil at the gas station while filling up. 

If you think you can drive your car 15000miles with the same oil , and you believe the idiots telling you it’s ok, then you must be really desperate to get a new car...

Most definitely, it’s one way to blow it up. 

On the bright side, you’ll have a new car every 15000 miles... maybe 30000 if you’re lucky 

I wait for the "mileage minder light to light up to tell me when to change the oil"   My manufacturer recommends regular oil (so no need to spend the extra money on synthetic oil (synthetic oil was first invented by the Germans during WW2 because they did not have oil reserves.  They did have coal & coal oil and a small amount of "oil" still so they started blending stuff together to extend the life of their supply. Ergo synthetic oil which is a "blend" of different lubricants.   THAT IS ALL IT IS, BLENDED OIL.  Definitely not worth the high cost they charge for it.  Oil is Oil, just get the right grade for the weather conditions in your area for your car.  Your manufacturer has its recommendations & THAT IS THE "recommendations you follow".  You are good for the life of the car.  Beer is more important than car oil.  I also change the filter every oil change, not necessary but I do.

Brown oil is not a big deal.  It is still lubricant.  In my one car it was immediately black, which is soot from the fuel being scraped into and mixed with the fuel. So every piston stroke of every piston.  Soot is carbon which is a lubricant, not much  different than graphite.

I used Mobil 1 Extended Performance Synthetic (20,000 miles) and when I replaced it at 15,000 it was brown sludge. I will never go over 10,000 miles in the future.

I use it when a vehicle manual says 7500-10000mile oil changes just to be sure. I wouldn't personally wait a full 15k or longer.

Even if the oil is made to hold up for that length of time I don't know of any oil filters that last that long. There's also the problem with motors using/burning oil and the oil level still needs to be checked every 1,000 miles and topped up. Being a Master Mechanic I change synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. 

• garry

yes , it should be , synthetic oil doesnt  break down like mineral oil , its should last longer than 15k miles anyway , are you talking about the car hand book recommendation or mobil warranty , 2 different things .look on the label to see what it recommends .

• ?

I do, yes.  The oil will probably last at least that long in a properly running newer engine.  I doubt they'd risk marketing it that way if they weren't confident it was true.  Ruining thousands of engines by lying doesn't seem like a great business strategy.  You'd better be running a real good oil filter if you're changing at 15K mile intervals though.  Many oil filters aren't rated for 15K miles between changes.

If I were to use it, I would probably change it at 10K - but I would still change the filter and top it off at 5K.

I use synthetic blend in all of my vehicles, and change oil/filter every 5K religiously.

• ?

Yes, just need to check oil regularly - and keep it topped up - might have to replace the oil filter once during the 15000k miles interval. Synthetic oil cleans very well. 

• elhigh

Even if the oil is, I bet your rings and seals aren't.  Over an interval that long a not-insignificant portion of the oil will get past the rings and be burned away, or inhaled into the combustion chambers via the PCV valve.  Either way, don't count on a fill to go the full 15000 miles.