Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

Erzsébet or Elizabeth?

Erzsébet is the Hungarian form of Elizabeth and is pronounced Air - zhuh - bet. 

Which one do you prefer?

Elizabeth so I can call her Beth 

I prefer Elizabeth. But from my Hungarian genealogy research, I've learned that Ersebet was sometimes nicknamed Erze, which is cute.

Elizabeth. Erzsebet sounds maybe good in Hungarian and for Hungarians, but not so much in English.

If you are of Hungarian ancestry the Hungarian version would be fine otherwise I would suggest the English spelling. 

I like both, but my first thought is that I like Erzsebet.  

Go with Erzsébet! It’s different and pretty. I like Elizabeth but it’s really common.

• Adele

I would prefer Elizabeth

• blank

Elizabeth                                                                       

I much prefer Elizabeth 

• Snid

Unless you actually live in Hungary I would stick to Elizabeth.  Using Erzsebet is only going to complicate a child's life especially with the accents on the letters.