Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

Can vets be recalled after their full 8 yr obligation? Like if a vet did 4yr active and 4yr IRR, are they still subject to recall after IRR?

I have been reading online and there is something about a certain category of recall involving vets who have been off of active duty for less than 5 years. Just curious what the deal is.

Lets say you are an officer and you sign up.   You get a reserve commission.  You do your four years active then move into the inactive reserve for four years.   The CATCH is you have to resign your commission.   If you just figure it is automatic, you are wrong.   As long as you retain your commission you can be called up.    If you are enlisted the contract is dead at the end of the eight years.   An advantage of being enlisted.  

• ?

The Short Answer: Once your IRR time is up you are no longer obligated.

Longer Answer: I think the confusion stems from the fact that unlike their counter parts in the other Branches, Active Duty enlisted "Retirees" in the US Naval Services (USN/USMC) don't/didn't actually retire @ 20 yrs, they submit a request to enter the Fleet Reserve (IRR) and, if/when approved, are paid a "Retainer Check"  until their 30 yr mark when they are shipped over to the Retired Rolls.

- in theory they are the human element for training/manning an activation of the "Mothball Navy". They can be recalled until they are released to the Retired Rolls when their "retainer check" becomes a "retirement check" (different name, same amount) - but it also means that they can be recalled for fun things like Courts Martial too, although I believe that there are cases fighting that in the federal courts.

(ie I enlisted in '82, entered the Fleet Reserve @ 21yrs in 2003 and didn't receive my release letter letter via USPS until 2012...from 2003-2012 I was eligible for recall)

- Officers are different, as someone else already pointed out and so is the USNR/USMCR. - so my answer pertains to the "20yr retirement program" I retired under.  I'm not 100% sure how the new retirement system/s work in regards to Fleet Reserve and IRR obligations, but I am fairly sure the answer is just a google away.

• Joe

Enlisted verterans may be asked to return to service for a specific duty and limited time.  They have the right to say no but seldom do.  All officers remain officers until the day they die.  The are subject to the command of the President until the day they die.

• Mrsjvb

Technically, yes.  When they pulled the battleships out of mothballs decades ago, a number of subject matter experts were pulled back into uniform temporarily to teach the systems to the next generation.  And some of them had been out a lot longer than 5 years.  

It happens rarely, but it does happen.  

For a vet that separates, rather then retires, from active duty, their obligation to the IRR ends with their minimum service obligation (MSO), which is typically 8 years from entering the military. After that, they can't be recalled and the only way they could be brought into service is through a draft.

For a vet that retires at 20+ years, it's different; they can be called up until age 60.

They can try to ask, and you would be free to REFUSE.  Once your contract is up, you are under no obligation. 

whwn you enlist, you enlist for 8 years total, you can be r3called at any time during that 8 years

I'm a 24-year veteran and retired. I'm still part of the Inactive Reserve. That means I can be called up at any time, but if they recall me they're getting pretty desperate, since I'm eligible for Social Security. In wartime, people will get recalled based on their utility. Since I'm old, my only usefulness would be some special ability (photo interpreter, linguist, whatever). A younger guy could be recalled, but unless there's a full-blown war such a recall would be very unlikely.