Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

How would you feel if a loved one was on your back about eating more and you don’t have a eating disorder and your health is fine?

Maybe the question is not "how would you feel" but in how do you feel during the day. What is your response is like and are you easily irritated?

What is your overall energy level compared to those who are concerned about you?Sometimes it's not the amount of food but the quality is the problem. Lack in quality, or lack in certain nutrients can cause all kinds of unexplainable mood swings, irritability for no apparent reason, low energy, fatigue, brain fog etc.

I would feel the need to set healthy boundaries.

There is a healthy and necessary boundary in any relationship no matter how intimate.  

Nuts due to magnesium

Am I an adult? Is my weight healthy, according to my doctor? Do I eat a healthy diet overall, even if I sometimes eat lightly or skip a meal?

Then I thank them for their concern and ask that they back off, because my doctor and I agree I'm fine.

If I'm a minor living with my family, I have to consider the possibility that my loved one could be right. Maybe my expectations for how my body ought to look are not reasonable or realistic and I might be undereating--even if it's not an official eating disorder--in pursuit of something that simply cannot happen.

The body types that are marketed to teen girls exist in nature, but only for a very small percentage of girls--and the ninety percent that aren't long of limb, narrow of hip, wide of shoulder feel they look awful and try to change their bodies to this impossible ideal.

If you want the adults in your life off your back, start keeping a log of what you eat, how much, and its calorie counts. If you've averaging a sufficient number of calories over the course of a week and can prove it, maybe they'd trust your judgment.

• .

I would tell them I appreciated their concern but to back off, and I'd explain why their comments annoyed me.

.

Remember, YA is for information seeking questions. When you ask about the users here, it's a chat violation.

The answer is to be polite but vague in your answers.  Don't argue or protest, but do say things like "I'm flattered you care so much", or "I'll consider that", or  ask them to give you some suggestions, and recipes for things they want you to eat.  It will keep them so busy looking up recipes (which you will accept with a thanks and say, maybe I'll try this some time" and then add it to a stack of recipes you ignore.  If they ask you if you've tried that recipe yet, you can say "Oh, I forgot.  I laid that down somewhere and I don't remember where I put it."  But make sure you are telling the truth.  You can always file it in the rectangular file on the floor in the corner, the one that gets emptied every few days, and then you can honestly say, weeks later, that you don't know where that recipe is now.  Maybe they would provide you with a copy?  (That will keep them busy feeling they are being helpful while you go about your own business.)