Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Would I be a bad person if I didn't pay to have my moms septic tank emptied?

Pretty sure it needs to be emptied. My mom thinks it doesn't. She said I could pay to have it done though. If it's Leaking, im pretty sure it could contaminate the ground water. And maybe effect the neighbors too. Would I be a bad person if I didn't have it emptied?

It is recommended to pump every 3 to 5 yrs. at the most.......you can google search and see plenty of information and You Tube videos from the experts.

Pumping the water out of a septic tank doesn't do much. It will just fill back up over a short time. To properly clean out a septic tank, you have to

removed

lid, pumped out the water, and scrape off the sides and bottom and clean that out as well.

I had my septic tank sucked out at 15 years from new.  The sewer cleaner guy said it wasn't bad. I have a huge leach bed, the largest in the township.  

Once in 10 years it should be done. As the brown tube steaks add up and you added to that pile.  The tank only holds 1000 gallons so 4500L (LxWxH) You can do the math using metric measure to figure out how much space you got and you do not want to fill it full so3/4 is time.   Figure out the size of your "logs" = Lxdiameter x Pii  or present it to your math teacher.  Sometimes they like to go nuts doing the calculation on the blackboard showing you.       and as there is 2 of you that is twice the number for the total volume.  Find a kid who can do the math for you. And this is just sht.  Not including dirty laundry and any other solids that go down the drain(a rock is a rock even if it is pea gravel)  Nor am I calculation TP as that does not disintegrate  Nor am I calculating the rate of decomposition of solids.(that is just getting into difficult math) Not worth it.  Think simply and make an estimation on to the average length....so say 10 cm.

.  They do fill up and you do not want to get in a situation where the solids get into the leach field.  That is $10,000 to dig up the yard to lay another field because the other is plugged up.

Unless you RENT.  Then it is the LL problem. Not yours.

If it's Leaking, im pretty sure it could contaminate the ground water.

If a septic tank is NOT leaking, it needs repaired.

Based on your CLEAR lack of knowledge about how a septic system works, I believe your mom is correct.

• ?

If it is leaking, it needs more than a pumping, it needs to be replaced.

the leech field already 'contaminates' the ground water -- to the extent it is contaminated.  one has the septic pumped when it needs doing

• y

Properly working tanks never need to be pumped supposedly. Then others recommend pumping and inspections anywhere between two, and my towns recommendation of five years.

If you have blockages, backups, or the ground around the tank itself or the leaching field is saturated, you have issues.

The first thing you need to do is get an education on what you are talking about.  And then accumulate facts that you have to have to evaluate your situation.  Like have you ever had these problems before?  What happened that you are having problems now? What is the depth of the well screen and what are the strata above it.  Is the well capped in concrete.   How far away is the drain field of the septic system and what direction does surface runoff flow?  Towards the well?   If the septic tank is leaking, is the ground unusually wet around the tank?  Call a septic tank pumper and have him measure the amount of sludge in the tank and give you a recommendation if he should pump it out. And if the tank is leaking.  How long ago was the septic tank pumped out?  How big is it?  How many people use it?

• T C

I think you will do the right thing, because you are a good person…I mean, she gave you life, fed you, clothed you, and cared for you…… you wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for her.

What do you mean leaking ….like, out of the septic tank? ….That definitely would be an indicator.Most engineered septic fields are designed to be a specific distance from both yours, and your neighbors well.