Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 2 months ago

How do you go on disability if you lost your job/insurance?

I lost my job because of my physical disability. I am physically and mentally unable to work. I don't have health insurance or any income now. 

So what do I do to go on disability without any doctors? Is my only choice to go to a homeless shelter now? 🙁 

I was staying with two roommates paying 1/3 the rent because there was 3 of us but they're not doing well either financially now.

Any suggestions? Thank you

Yeah I'm unable to work I keep passing out and have migraines so bad I can't move for hours

You get on the social security website and you apply for disability. You will have to provide as much evidence as you can gather to attest to your disability, that means any doctors, specialists, etc. You will be denied at least once and have to keep fighting. 

Unless you have cancer of something that is very cut and dry, it takes months or years to get SSI or SSDI.

There is no way you can do it without doctors certification.  To get disability, you generally can't be able to do any job not just the job you were doing.

Most homeless shelters don't have room to accept people.

Figure out a job that you can do with your disabilities and try to get hired.  Otherwise, there is good chance you may end up homeless. 

If liberals care so much about the taking homeless off the street, why is Seattle, Portland, SF, and LA FILLED with homeless on the street?????

- in my neighborhood, there have been 4 fires in homeless encampments in the past month.

- seattle has miles and miles of homeless tents....

Contact your physician, and then the state Social Services (and Social Security)

This page provides detailed information about disability benefits and can help you understand what to expect from Social Security during the disability process.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/disability/

• Andy C

Apply for SSI on the Social Security website. 

Look into your state's various programs.   WA currently offers up to 99% of your past income for unemployment. 

Look up SNAP

Look up housing benefits for unemployment. 

Thanks to liberals who actually care about people,  many states offer robust support for people in your position. 

If you live in a 'red' or GOP governed state, set your bar of expectations pretty low.

Remember to make an educated vote next time.