Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

What's your opinion of my roommate?

I live in a rooming house (not a rehab or halfway house) and we have a older man that lives here. I will call him Jake. Jake is in a wheelchair and demands to take a tub bath. Jake leaves a ring of soap scum around the tub and foot prints by the handle. Many of us have asked Jake to please clean the tub with a cleaner so it will be clean and disinfected. We have even given Jake the cleaning supplies so he will not have to spend any money on this. Jake still refuses to do this. I have tried to explain to Jake that germs could cause staph infection and worse. Jake believes water or a watered down sanitizer does the trick and refuses to scrub his mess out of the tub. Jake also leaves nasty messes in the kitchen and refuses to clean the stove after he cooks and leaves the sink filthy.  I have tried to explain to Jake that we all need to keep the kitchen and bathroom as clean as possible and should be cleaned by everyone after they use it so we can keep the coronovirus out of our home. Can someone please tell me are we being unreasonable? Jake can still walk around when he wants and has use of his hands and feet.

Jake has been offered a shower chair.He refuses it and says he prefers baths. I have told him that he must keep the tub clean for everyone else. This is a sign of respect for other people. 

Even if a he used a shower chair the tub would still need to be cleaned with a store bought cleaner not water or watered down hand sanitizer. As I have previously stated many people have bought tub cleaner and Comet and have asked Jake to clean the tub and toilet after he is done. Jake does not touch these items.

Jake does  not care about bathing in a clean or dirty tub. We do care and we try and keep it clean. Everyone cleans after themself. No one should have to clean up after Jake. Jake is the one that leaves the nasty tub.

• T C

It's not only unsanitary it's also common courtesy.

You are not being unreasonable at all. 

I don't know what kind of action you can take get him to be responsible. I don't think it's just laziness .....but that is part of it. 

There should be some kind of repercussions, but I don't know the situation to offer any advise.    

• ?

3 percent of humanity are billygoats,,dogs who crap where they want

find other living arrangements

Perhaps instead of the policy being to clean AFTER your shower, you should switch to cleaning BEFORE your shower.      That way each of you is still only cleaning once and you are guaranteed a clean tub if you want one.    If he doesn't want to clean before he bathes, then he gets a dirty tub.

Get Jake a stool and a sprayer and have him sit on it in the tub to use it.  Instead of sitting down in a tub.  No ring.  That is really difficult for someone who is nearly wheel barrel bound.

• Rick B

This is why I would not live with roomates or people I do not know.